Midi, Synth,Sequencer, sampler NOOB looking for guidance

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Jordo

Midi, Synth,Sequencer, sampler NOOB looking for guidance

Post by Jordo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:28 am

So I'm just starting to jump into the world of Midi because I can't find people to play music with so I'm going solo. I have a Roland JX-3P and the (classic) Alesis sr16. Now I've read it's super hard to link a JX-3P with a midi drum machine and the Rolands sequencer is great but you cannot store the sequences and just have to overwrite. So I was wondering what I need or if it's possible to get a keyboard controller with the sample pads so I could A) hook up my JX-3P to it and the drum machine so they could sync and sequence AND B) somehow store the sequences from the JX-3P to sample them and keep them saved.

I have really no experience with this stuff and this is just me thinking out loud trying to figure this stuff out, it is quite overwhelming to a noob like myself.

Thank you.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: Midi, Synth,Sequencer, sampler NOOB looking for guidance

Post by meatballfulton » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:09 pm

You obviously own a computer since you are posting here. Are you interested in using a software sequencer or does it have to be hardware?

Controller keyboards for the most part do not have sequencers built in. The few that do, like the Arturia Keystep, have very basic and simple sequencers. Most controllers are really designed to work with computers and some can act as a MIDI interface to connect your JX and SR to the computer.

An option would be to buy a used synthesizer that does have a more usable sequencer. There are many inexpensive "workstation" synths from the 1990s that would do the job for $200 or so.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jordo

Post by Jordo » Mon Jul 10, 2017 3:26 pm

I don't want anything to do with a computer.
I'm really into a band called black marble and they use a AKAI MPC 1000. (Kinda expensive and hard to find)
So just trying to figure out the best way to emulate that with syncing the synth and drum machine and triggering song/samples.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:51 pm

There are other MPC models out there in the used market and they would provide you not only with the sequencing power you need but also sampling capability.

What is your budget?
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jordo

Post by Jordo » Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:05 pm

Thanks for the reply! I'm thinking 300cnd would be the max I'd wanna spend right now. Just starting out with this stuff so don't wanna go in over my head and break banks.

Hubaswift

Post by Hubaswift » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:21 am

I wonder if the Kiwi-3P mod would work for this. I don't own a Kiwi-3P myself (though I own 2 JX-3Ps) but on their list of added features they mention:

-8 Sequences & 16 Patterns can be stored and edited, Sequences & Patterns can be optionally linked to tones. It is also possible to temporarily edit any Tone, Seq or Pattern

-Sequencer can be Started, Stopped, and Continued using Midi Commands

Site: https://kiwitechnics.com/jx3pupgrade.htm

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:05 am

The OP will have to raise his budget by about CD$80 for that upgrade. And decide fast, because production has stopped.

I like meatballfulton's idea better.

Jordo

Post by Jordo » Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:42 am

Yeah definitely don't wanna put that kind of money into my Roland.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:19 pm

Was just looking at ebay Canada...wow talk about insane prices for used MPCs! You have my sympathy :?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Jul 12, 2017 3:27 pm

I dunno, you have a computer. There's so much good software out there now. It's the way to go, if you're on a budget. Personally I don't get the hipness of hardware sequencers- I dislike being locked to working pattern based. Just not flexible enough, for me.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Wed Jul 12, 2017 4:47 pm

As madtheory wrote, using your computer will give you everything you need for really low money...even NO money. You can get free sequencers (if you own a Mac you have one already...Garageband). Buy a cheap USB MIDI interface and use your computer to actually make music while you save up for a hardware sequencer.

It might help if you explained why you want to avoid a computer. These days it's almost impossible to do electronic music without a computer in some capacity. I certainly wouldn't go back to 100% hardware even though that is what I used from 1988 to 2011.

Jordo

Post by Jordo » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:05 am

Well the reason I don't want to use a computer is easy enough, I don't have one.
And before hearing all of the responses I did not think going full hardware to sequence a drum machine and synth would be that difficult or expensive.

meatballfulton

Post by meatballfulton » Thu Jul 13, 2017 5:52 am

We figured since you had posted here you owned a computer.

There are some inexpensive used hardware sequencers from the 1980s you could look for.

Alesis MMT8 (uses cassette tape or any other audio recorder for storage)
Roland MC-50, MC-300, MC-500 (all use floppy disks for storage)
Yamaha QX5, QX7, QX21 (uses cassette tape or any other audio recorder for storage)
Kawai Q80 (floppy disks for storage)

In the USA these usually sell for $50-100.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:08 am

How about an Emu E Synth, or one of the E4 samplers? They have sequencers on board, should be within your budget. So is a laptop that can run Reaper and some VSTs though.

Jordo

Post by Jordo » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:15 am

Someone suggested a Beatstep pro to me. Any opinions on that?