No sound from Ensoniq EPS 16+

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

No sound from Ensoniq EPS 16+

Postby JLHarmon » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:56 pm

I recently lucked into a free Ensoniq EPS 16+. It starts up fine, the OS disk loads fine, every instrument disk I've used seems to load up fine, and the display confirms that the keyboard is calibrated. Everything seems to be perfectly functional, except the part where you press a key and sounds are supposed to come out. Any suggestions?
JLHarmon

Re: No sound from Ensoniq EPS 16+

Postby satchy » Sat Aug 05, 2017 7:21 pm

Hi,
It is possible that the power supply does not output all voltages.
There are 5 fuses in the power supply.
Maybe one of these fuses is broken... :idea:
Please open the device only, if you know what you are doing :!: :!:
*** Electric shock hazard :!: :!: ***
Otherwise, go to a technician with it.
satchy

Postby blueknob » Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:30 am

I know when I first got my EPS16+ it frustrated me loads. Over time and getting to know it, usually there is a magic setting that puts the thing in a mode I want. I can think of a number of settings that will silence the thing. Admittedly from a bootup all should be well but as you got the thing for free, perhaps it got dumped because the previous owner has this same problem and didn't know how to fix it.

From what I know of the EPS16+ internals, it does seem quite robust, well made and good components although tants (capacitors) are dying so that might have "isolated" some sections of the circuit. But I would still check the settings, the obvious ones will be to checkout the FX section, set it to by-pass. Then confirm the wavesamples are being sent to BUSS 1- 3 and not AUX etc. Wavesample volumes are >80 and so on there are so many. Or try and create a new Instrument, Layer, Wavesample - that should prove the "synth" part is ok.

It all depends if someone has edited the Instrumets too, if no layer has been set to a patch, no sound will he heard and so on, the sampler has come from an unknown source. I really do suggest, get the manual, and read it and read it and read it! Only because it can be a real trial finding that one line of info that sorts a problem, knowing where to start lookng in the manual is a great help (in keeping hair).
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby Rasputin » Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:03 pm

Agreed with the reading the manual thing. Try to just sample something instead of loading an instrument and see if the audio will pass through that way.

It could be broken hardware, of course, but even something as simple as not selecting an instrument/track (selecting, not loading) would make it look broken to someone not familiar with that sampler.
Rasputin

Postby blueknob » Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:47 am

And when you get it all sorted, by far one of the easiest ways to get wavesamples into the EPS16+ is using MIDI sample dump, the best app by far is SampleWrench from Dissidents. (http://www.dissidents.com/audio.htm) - I wish I had known about this app years ago, it's been around for many years. A 2 sec dump to the EPS16+ takes less than 3 mins.

I use it to quickly (minimum effort) get wavesamples into my EPS16+ from my Windows platform, then switch to my 68k Mac/Alchemy/scsi for high speed editing. Alchemy and the EPS16+ work togther like magic, but that's another story.

Here's a list of samplers that SampleWrench works with.

blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby jimmyklane » Thu May 03, 2018 5:15 pm

I wanted to bump this dead thread for all of those that have an Ensoniq EPS 16+....this program is called Sample Wrench, and is the ONLY program I've found that will work over MIDI SDS, including the paid ones. I wasted over $50 on Chicken System's "Ensoniq MIDI Disk Tools" only to find that it wouldn't work no matter what I did to the instrument or MIDI buffer sizes, etc.

Sample Wrench worked the FIRST TIME and has a preset for both the EPS classic as well as the 16+.
Here is the link....still works in 2018!!!

http://redirect.viglink.com/?format=go& ... Faudio.htm
jimmyklane

Postby Masuto » Wed May 23, 2018 6:38 am

Bumping this because i am having the same issue!
My second hand EPS16+ is just silent.
It boots properly,
It loads instruments (i have a few ensoniq disks) right.
No error whatsoever, but no sound from the headphones jack or the mono outs is being heard.
I spent a couple of hours with manual in hand tweaking with the system settings and still no luck..
Masuto

Postby blueknob » Wed May 23, 2018 7:06 am

I don't want to appear like I'm talking down (insulting) anyone.. we assume that once an Instrument has been loaded in, it's "active" button is pressed to select it. On the keyboard version, it needs to two yellow leds to be lit, on the rack the led needs to be yellow not red (press the button). Then of course do check the midi channels are correct, there are many setting and things that need to be set. For example on the rack find "midi in mode =" set that to omni, I've set my boot up to always be in multi mode, if yours is the same then you'll have to find the midi channel, omni is simpler.

These problems may just be a midi misconfiguration or there has been a setting tat "disconnects" the keyboard/midi from the sound generating part.
blueknob

Return to HELP!