How reliable is Wire Glue?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
belltones
Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

Re: How reliable is Wire Glue?

Post by belltones » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:11 pm

Mooger5 wrote:The other had lost the solderable area for two or three pins. Lose just one of these and the entire chip is wasted.
Ah, it is as I feared. I was hoping that you were about to discover a solution for this problem, but all my experiences made me suspect that it was impossible. I hate it how when just one of those pins breaks off it's like "Well, there goes $40"... unless there's some tiny dab of the original solder still there :cry:

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Mon Aug 14, 2017 9:39 pm

Well, on my part deliberately discarding the original pins was a bad idea to start with. They´re shaped like tweezers on one end for a reason and that reason is to sustain the entire module. One should always clamp the "tweezers" to ensure a good grip and only then should they be soldered to the pads. Relying solely on solder connections that are glued to a ceramic substrate to have the double function of mechanical support while carrying electric signals at the same time is a no-no IMO especially when the modules can get quite warm. I took the idea from a tech whose work I respect but this is not a good solution.

Now imagine an 80017A built as it should have from the start: on a double sided FR4 PCB with real copper traces and real SMD resistors. Something that´d resemble the AR clones in appearance, made with real BA662s and IR3109 instead of the LM13700s. With all the thousands of "acetoned" chips out there, wouldn´t that be fantastic? :)

I have found my notes on the correct pin numbers for the SOIC Ba662 and the resistor values. I´ll share them tomorrow if it´s of interest.

Cheers!
Herrare umanum est.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:10 pm

And another chip found under a pile of "things to do". This one actually has the original pins and again the solderable area vanished without hope notably on pin 11 - VCA Control". Pin 9 - VCA In does have a useable vestige but notice how it disappeared around the "claw". So I´ll have to eat my own words: ditching the original pins is not a good idea, but leaving them attached doesn´t help, either.

Looks like you can´t be overzealous with the acetone treatment...

Herrare umanum est.