ESQ-1 Sound Issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
JHatzia

Re: ESQ-1 Sound Issues

Post by JHatzia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:27 pm

Tomas, I am currently in contact with Rutger for assistance. Thanks for the reminder.

As far as MIDI hand shaking, the manual only says to connect MIDI Out from your interface to the ESQ-1 MIDI IN. It doesn't explicitly say to have it in a MIDI handshake. Sending patches from the synth while connected in a MIDI handshake transferred patches from the synth fine. Transferring patches to the synth is so far unsuccessful.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Have you gone into the MIDI page to turn on SysEx? Page up to the last option. And both MIDI in/out should be connected, of course.

As far as lack of sound goes, my current thinking is to try to re-seat the CEM 3360. I believe the metronome skips directly over this and goes to the op-amps, so it would be unaffected. All the filters calibrate and have some response, so they seem good. The waveforms are all digital and if the CPU is booting and the system seems fine as far as RAM/ROM, etc. then the waveforms should be generated properly as well (this may be a bad assumption, though), so that leaves the VCA.
Last edited by Rasputin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:45 pm

I had it set to ENABLE = KEYS+CT+PC+SS+SX and MIDI Channel 1. I reviewed the manual a few times and it appeared I had all the settings setup correctly. I'll try with a different MIDI Interface.. however my computer received the Sysex dump from the ESQ-1 just fine.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:46 pm

Just try rocking the VCA most of the way out of its socket and wiggle it back and forth into place a couple times with the power off.
Last edited by Rasputin on Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:55 pm

If that doesn't work, try watching pin 10 & 5 on the CEM3360 as you adjust the volume slider.

JHatzia

Post by JHatzia » Wed Aug 02, 2017 7:33 am

I adjusted and reseated the CEM3360, honestly the pins look as if they're brand new. No luck. Both pin 10 and 5 read a range of -65.9mV-1.98V and it seems to adjust smoothly.
Last edited by JHatzia on Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Wed Aug 02, 2017 9:40 am

Didn't Rutger mention how to monitor the output of the DAC before the filters? Without the multiplexing? Can you listen to the output there? Using your DMM probes hooked up to an amp.