Oberheim Matrix 1000, notes bump, and other things

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lahatte

Oberheim Matrix 1000, notes bump, and other things

Post by lahatte » Sat Aug 12, 2017 7:27 am

I just got a Matrix 1000. I notice that some notes will make a 'bump' sound on key press and key release. Sometimes after playing some other notes that also make the sound, the first one doesn't do it anymore.

Also, I'm curious if the aftertouch sound on patch 022 is supposed to make a white noise kind of sound as the key is fully pressed? I am wondering if that is also an issue.

I made an audio file at http://www.claylahatte.com/studio/Issue ... Issues.mp3. The first part is the sound of the aftertouch on patch 022. The second part is the bump on note on and note off. I had to play a few to find one doing it.

This is the sound it makes when it is turned off. Anyone else have that sound?
Turn Off Sound

I need ideas and your experience.

Thanks.
Clay
Last edited by lahatte on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Oberheim Matrix 1000, notes bump, and other things

Post by Mooger5 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:27 pm

Herrare umanum est.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:40 pm

Mooger5 wrote:Try the selfcalibration routine.

http://www.retrosound.de/Matrix-1000%20Service.htm
Good thought, but it made no difference.

Thanks.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:06 am

Strange. The bumps are typical of VCAs needing calibration and the weird modulation behaviour that also happens after updating the firmware was cured by the selfcalibration...

Try reseating all the voicechips on their sockets.
Herrare umanum est.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:07 am

Mooger5 wrote:Strange. The bumps are typical of VCAs needing calibration and the weird modulation behaviour that also happens after updating the firmware was cured by the selfcalibration...

Try reseating all the voicechips on their sockets.
I will do that.

Thanks.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:30 am

"Good news, everyone!"

Well, a little. Ok, so I reset all the socketed chips, re-initialized, and self-calibrated. Still the same issue.

However, using the nifty function of seeing "what voice" (link via Mooger5, http://www.retrosound.de/Matrix-1000%20Service.htm), I am able to tell that voice 6 is the one making the bump sound. So I suppose I can try a replacement for that chip. Trouble is, they are $60 each right now.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:56 am

You could try and swap that voice chip with another from another voice, say voice 5. After caslibration if the problems moved to voice 5 then it´s certain ly a bad chip. If the problem remains in voice 6 it´s probably a failing multiplexer or a bad joint, somethimh hopefully cheaper to fix.
Herrare umanum est.

baz99

Post by baz99 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:11 pm

lahatte wrote: This is the sound it makes when it is turned off. Anyone else have that sound?
Turn Off Sound
That's normal, mine does that too and has always done that in the 20 years I have owned it.
lahatte wrote:Trouble is, they are $60 each right now.
They are still $24 here: http://www.maad.net/ms6/
I have bought from there and received the goods so in my experience the seller is reliable (and with paypal payment you are protected anyway). Make sure you buy the narrow version as the wide body version is only for the Matrix 6.

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:02 pm

I have bought from that seller years ago. Serious person at the time. Shipped fast too.Prices remain unchanged. Who would have thougjt of that. What a bomb.
Herrare umanum est.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:00 pm

Mooger5 wrote:You could try and swap that voice chip with another from another voice, say voice 5. After caslibration if the problems moved to voice 5 then it´s certain ly a bad chip. If the problem remains in voice 6 it´s probably a failing multiplexer or a bad joint, somethimh hopefully cheaper to fix.
Good idea. I'll try that.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:02 pm

baz99 wrote:
lahatte wrote: This is the sound it makes when it is turned off. Anyone else have that sound?
Turn Off Sound
That's normal, mine does that too and has always done that in the 20 years I have owned it.
Good to know. Thanks.
baz99 wrote:
lahatte wrote:Trouble is, they are $60 each right now.
They are still $24 here: http://www.maad.net/ms6/
I have bought from there and received the goods so in my experience the seller is reliable (and with paypal payment you are protected anyway). Make sure you buy the narrow version as the wide body version is only for the Matrix 6.
Thanks for the tip.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:28 am

Mooger5 wrote:You could try and swap that voice chip with another from another voice, say voice 5. After caslibration if the problems moved to voice 5 then it´s certain ly a bad chip. If the problem remains in voice 6 it´s probably a failing multiplexer or a bad joint, somethimh hopefully cheaper to fix.
I swapped chips 5 and 6. Still voice 6 gives the bump sound.

What else can I check?

Thanks very much!
Clay

Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by Mooger5 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:03 pm

I should have added if the problem remains on the same voice it´s probably cheper to fix, but not necessarily easier...

A few more things to verify. All medium to long shots, but you never know:

1. ROM version. V1.11 is known to have a few bugs in the envelope section.

2. Initialize synth to factory defaults. Previous owner might have tried to control a few buggy parameters.

3. Choose a preset with long envelope release time such as 123 and see if the thump is caused by the lack of release on that voice.

4. Remove the voice chip and play the synth to see if the thump is still there.

5. Calibrate DAC using the respective Test Mode and a multimeter.

If all else fails, it could be useful to run the synth in unison mode so that all voices behave identically and compare the readings before subbing any parts.
Herrare umanum est.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 am

Mooger5 wrote:I should have added if the problem remains on the same voice it´s probably cheper to fix, but not necessarily easier...

A few more things to verify. All medium to long shots, but you never know:

1. ROM version. V1.11 is known to have a few bugs in the envelope section.

2. Initialize synth to factory defaults. Previous owner might have tried to control a few buggy parameters.

3. Choose a preset with long envelope release time such as 123 and see if the thump is caused by the lack of release on that voice.

4. Remove the voice chip and play the synth to see if the thump is still there.

5. Calibrate DAC using the respective Test Mode and a multimeter.

If all else fails, it could be useful to run the synth in unison mode so that all voices behave identically and compare the readings before subbing any parts.
1: ROM version is 1.11. I have a 1.2 on order.
2: Already initialized it several times, and self calibrated.
3: I don't have the original 123 preset any longer, though I suppose that might be duplicated at 323? On patch 323 I get the bump upon key press.
4: Not sure what you mean. How can it make a sound without the voice chip? Do you mean it might make the bump sound alone? If so, I will give that a try.
5: I don't know the procedure for that at this point.

I ordered another CEM3396, but it seems I may not need it. It won't hurt to have a spare though.

But here is an interesting phenomenon I just discovered... when the bump voice is playing the sound is a bit different. Check out this sound file for the example. It is cycling through the voices and when it gets to 6 the thump happens.
http://www.claylahatte.com/studio/issue ... Change.mp3

And remember, I swapped the voice chip with number 5 and it made no difference to the thump.
Thoughts on that?

Thanks for the assistance.
Last edited by lahatte on Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:58 am, edited 2 times in total.

lahatte

Post by lahatte » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:37 am

And one other thing, I notice the the synth cannot play very low notes. Like, on most patches I can play down to the low B on my 88 note keyboard, but anything lower is just basically the same pitch.

For example, patch 219 only goes to B2. Anything lower is still the same pitch.

Is that normal or something else needing fixed?

Thanks.