Casio FD-1 MIDI file player floppy disks DOS format

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio FD-1 MIDI file player floppy disks DOS format

Postby gmeredith » Tue Aug 15, 2017 7:44 am

Hello all! I have an ancient problem I need to solve. I've just bought a Casio FD-1 MIDI file player (a standalone floppy disk drive with a screen and MIDI ports in the back of it). Why you ask????!!!! Well, I'm a Casio collector :D I collect all of their weird and wonderful musical instruments!

It is a MIDI file player - basically it will play any standard MIDI file in type 0 format from a floppy disk out of its MIDI port into a synth and play it.

Here is the tricky part. It's only a MIDI file PLAYER - you can't record a MIDI file to its floppy disk. The manual states that the floppy disks need to be in DOS format. How, then, does it say how you get a MIDI file on to it then??? You use your state of the art brand new 1987 IBM Personal Computer with DOS OS to load the MIDI file that you've created with said state of the art Personal Computer onto a DOS formatted floppy disk. OK.

This process is a purely academic one; in reality I have no practical need to have an FD-1 - I have plenty of modern computers and software and USB-MIDI adapters that can serve this purpose. I think it would be cool though just to have this thing sitting there driving a synth module, seeing that it is fully functional, since it is part of my Casio museum.

So, how do I do this:

1.) Format a floppy disk to DOS format
2.) Transfer a created SMF MIDI file to the DOS formatted floppy disk?

Given that i have the following:

Various computers with a floppy drive with OS's ranging from Win98SE, Win2k, WinXP, Win7, Win8; a 2HD floppy disk; an Alesis MMT8 sequencer; MMT8Exchange - a program that can open the MMT8 sysex data dumps and convert them to SMF MIDI files in type 0 format.

What I DO NOT have:

A state of the art brand new IBM 1987 Personal Computer
MS-DOS
The knowledge to use MS-DOS

:dontknow: Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Re: Casio FD-1 MIDI file player floppy disks DOS format

Postby madtheory » Tue Aug 15, 2017 9:18 am

You don't need MS-DOS as such. Just format a floppy on the Win98SE machine (or any of your Windows machines that have a floppy drive) and put .MID files on it, with names no longer than 8 characters like this:
GMEREDIT.MID

In fact, most floppies come pre-formatted so all you need to do is drop the files on.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby gmeredith » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:22 am

Really?? That's good! I thought it would be much harder than that. I'll try it.

Cheers, Graham
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine
gmeredith

Postby gmeredith » Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:48 am

Thanks Mad, for that advice. Works a treat! :D
gmeredith

Postby madtheory » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:19 am

Awesome! Nice Casio collection you have there. It would be amazing to visit the Toshio Kashio museum some day. They have the original CosmoSynth, looks very cool.

Currently I have an FZ-1 and an SK-5 (which has MIDI). Very nice sounding things. I've had several CZ synths, I ended up deep-sampling my favourite sounds off the CZ-1. You should check out one of those, the layering and velocity brings those CZ patches to a new realm. I did the same with the VZ-10M. Great sounding FM synth but even harder to get into than the DX-7 IMO!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.

Postby gmeredith » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:59 am

I have more Casios that are not on that list - I must update it sometime. The EG-5 cassette guitar is one of my all-time favourites :lol:

Yes there are some great sounds in the VZ, I use its sounds a lot. It does some good bass guitars. I dump them on to RAM card and put it in my Casio guitar synth and play bass on it, sounds magic!
gmeredith

Postby madtheory » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:07 am

gmeredith wrote:I dump them on to RAM card and put it in my Casio guitar synth and play bass on it, sounds magic!

Ah the VZ FM is very responsive. I had to be very careful to capture the full range with my sampling of it. Best MIDI guitar I ever tried. Preferable to Roland/ Yamaha hex pickup designs IMO. Even their cheap one with the nylon strings and plastic neck was very good.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby gmeredith » Sat Aug 19, 2017 2:37 am

Best MIDI guitar I ever tried

You have one of the MG series, or the PG series like mine with the built in synth? If you have an MG, you'll love the PG - it has lightning fast response when using the internal synth - better than any Roland setup ever done. Almost zero latency, unlike even the best Rolands. You can play fast bass lines on it. Using the MIDI out port to drive a module, however, it's about on par with the Rolands.
gmeredith

Postby madtheory » Sat Aug 19, 2017 6:40 am

Own neither unfortunately :( Used them at various times in the past. I'm not a guitar player, although I can manage bass. These days I have a setup with Kontakt and Guitar Rig for electric guitar, and this lovely thing for acoustic guitar:
https://www.acousticsamples.net/sunbird
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!