Using Japanese Synth (Yamaha CS-10) in the US

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Using Japanese Synth (Yamaha CS-10) in the US

Postby rhythmking90 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:34 pm

So, I've got a CS-10 (Japanese 100V) model that I am using in the US. I am currently using a voltage converter, a 100V to 120v and vice versa converter, so I can plug it into the wall (120V, since I am in the US).

Will it be OK to use the line output and CV/gate controls on the CS-10 with effects pedals, sequencers, and amps that are 120V? Specifically I plan to use a Korg SQ-1 and an Arturia Keystep. I guess more generally, my question is is it OK to drive a Japanese synth via CV/gate with US-market products. How does CV/gate work?

I don't know anything about electronics, so any kind of help would be truly appreciated!
rhythmking90

Re: Using Japanese Synth (Yamaha CS-10) in the US

Postby Rasputin » Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:01 pm

rhythmking90 wrote:So, I've got a CS-10 (Japanese 100V) model that I am using in the US. I am currently using a voltage converter, a 100V to 120v and vice versa converter, so I can plug it into the wall (120V, since I am in the US).

Will it be OK to use the line output and CV/gate controls on the CS-10 with effects pedals, sequencers, and amps that are 120V? Specifically I plan to use a Korg SQ-1 and an Arturia Keystep. I guess more generally, my question is is it OK to drive a Japanese synth via CV/gate with US-market products. How does CV/gate work?

I don't know anything about electronics, so any kind of help would be truly appreciated!

All the internal voltages, as far as logic and analog boards go, end up being the same regardless of what transformer is in the PSU. The only difference is that regional models need to handle the mains AC differently, but once it leaves the power supply stage, everything operates the same.

Short answer: It's all good.

P.S. Some CS-10 models have a transformer wiring that lets you easily convert the PSU to 120V which would let you ditch the external converter. Move one wire. Could hardly be made easier. All you need is a soldering iron.

https://web.archive.org/web/20120308003 ... om/?p=1620
Rasputin

Re: Using Japanese Synth (Yamaha CS-10) in the US

Postby belltones » Sun Sep 03, 2017 6:04 am

Additionally, most synths made in Japan to run on Japanese 100V mains can run just fine on US 117V without any kind of adapter/converter. Occasionally there's a wire you have to move on the transformer to make sure it doesn't run too "hot", but a lot of synth companies would just make two versions, a 100/117V version and a 220/240V version, with regulator circuitry present to make sure the outputs would be the same. A good power supply design should be able to account for only a 17% change in input voltage without damage.
belltones

Gear: Weller soldering iron, Hitachi oscilloscope, little hooked tool I got on Amazon for $1

Return to HELP!