Sequencing a Moog Prodigy w/ Arturia and Kenton Pro-Solo

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
rhythmking90

Sequencing a Moog Prodigy w/ Arturia and Kenton Pro-Solo

Post by rhythmking90 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:30 am

So, I'd like to sequence melodic bass lines on my Moog Prodigy MKII.

I want to do this using the Arturia Keystep (or possibly the Korg SQ-1). Not a computer.

I've read, however (and please note that I don't know much about electronics), that the Arturia and Korg each output at 10V, while the Prodigy (and other older Moogs) will get 'fried,' as they are expecting 5V.

If I sent a MIDI out sequence from the Arturia Keystep into the Kenton Pro-Solo MKII via MIDI, which in turn sequenced the Prodigy via CV/gate, would this 'fry' the Prodigy (i.e. the 10V from the Arturia to the Prodigy which is expecting 5V)?

I have the same concerns about a Yamaha CS-10 (Japanese 100V model).

I'm trying to get all my stuff set up, and I don't know who else to ask...

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Re: Sequencing a Moog Prodigy w/ Arturia and Kenton Pro-Solo

Post by madtheory » Sun Aug 27, 2017 8:39 am

Where did you read that misinformation? The Arturia is designed with the Moog gear in mind. It is as standard as CV gate gets, it will work perfectly with the keystep.

The Moog uses the Volt per octave standard. 10V gives you 10 octaves with the Moog. Simples. The Yamaha does it differently, bit more mathematical but all you have to do is set the Arturia to Hz/V instead of V/Oct. The difference is interesting, if you want to get into it. But rest assured that it works fine, nothing gets fried!

The 100V power supply for the Yamaha is a separate issue entirely. Do you have it powered up and working normally in your setup already?

FWIW Voltage doesn't fry things, current does. You'll see the keystep takes a 9V 500mA for its power supply. This might help to put it in perspective- if you used one of those rectangular 9V batteries to power the Arturia it would die after an hour or less, the poor little thing. It is not possible to damage anything with that kind of power!

rhythmking90

Post by rhythmking90 » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:17 pm

Hey madtheory, thank you for responding to my post.

Upon further research, it seems like this potential 'frying' problem has to do with the gate, not the CV. Also, it is not the voltages given to CV, but the overall power of the Arturia Keystep/SQ-1 (don't know if that makes sense). I read about this in a few places, namely:

The comments of this video:

https://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=27329

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=88636.0

https://forum.arturia.com/index.php?topic=88163.0

...and other random threads from Google searching.

I don't know if this is true, but your response makes sense, though. If I were to go direct from the Arturia Keystep to the S-trig of the Prodigy, would I just need one of these: http://www.kentonuk.com/products/items/ ... trig.shtml, and 1/8-1/8 patch cables?

Also, I have a 120V-100V voltage converter for using my Japanese CS-10 here in the States, which works perfectly. Could I also sequence the CS-10 with the Keystep? Does it use Hz/V instead of V/Oct? What about a Korg KR-55B drum machine, would I just use 1/8-1/8 trigger out to the sync/clock in on the Arturia? So many questions...

Thanks!

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Wurlitzer Opus 1536, Model F, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, Thermostat, Buck Owens' Moog.

Post by madtheory » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:17 am

Ya, none of those are information. They're all hearsay. If there was a risk of damage it would be stated in the safety section at the start of the manual. But that doesn't give you certainty. You could ask Moog or Artiria directly. But voltage does not fry. Try asking on Muff Wiggler forum. Best place for this info. If you want to be totally happy make a voltage divider using two resistors. It's a high school physics project and can be built into the cable using heat shrink. It will give you the same current in the end though :)

Toris

Post by Toris » Wed Dec 13, 2017 2:08 pm

Old Moogs (inc the Prodigy) use S-trig not V-trig gate signals.

You need to buy or make a convertor.
Err...now what?

madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Post by madtheory » Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Hang on a sec, I misread the OP- he/she is planning to trigger the Moog from the Pro Solo, not the Arturia.

Pro Solo has S-trig built in! RTFM...

Toris

Post by Toris » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:03 am

madtheory wrote:Hang on a sec, I misread the OP- he/she is planning to trigger the Moog from the Pro Solo, not the Arturia.

Pro Solo has S-trig built in! RTFM...
Ah yes so it does. I misread the post too. Assuming the Prodigy doesn't have the old cynch-jones connector for gate, it shouldn't be a problem. If it does then converter cables are available.
Err...now what?