How do I sync Yamaha CS15d (vintage synth) with Volca beats

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

How do I sync Yamaha CS15d (vintage synth) with Volca beats

Postby zzzsheepyzzz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:13 am

Hi, so I have a Yamaha Cs15D

and it has a main input, and at the back of it it has:

-Line out 2 mix, 1
-Control Volt: Out, and In 2, 1
-Trigger: Out, and In 2, 1

The Volca beats simply has "In, sync, out" (input and output).

How do I sync up these two things (so that the beat of the keys matches the speed of the synth). Also I have a really hard time understanding what Control Volt and Trigger are for.

Thanks!
Last edited by zzzsheepyzzz on Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zzzsheepyzzz

Re: How do I sync Yamaha CS15d (vintage synth) with Volca be

Postby Z » Thu Sep 07, 2017 2:09 am

That synth does not have arpeggiator or sequencer. What are you trying to synchronize?

Control Voltage usually determines the pitch of the note (CV can be used for many other things)
Gate and S-Trig (Switch Trigger, usually on vintage Moogs synths) tells the note to start and stop
Trigger tells the note to start and immediately stop
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby zzzsheepyzzz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 4:53 am

Oh, well what I thought I was trying to do was have it so that the Tempo of the Volca beats automatically syncronizes with the, I think, modulation speed of the synthesizer so that changing the tempo on the volca beats would automatically match up with the modulation speed of the synth.

Perhaps you answered my question (im a pretty big newb), in that if the synthesizer doesn't have a sequencer then it cannot synchronize
zzzsheepyzzz

Postby Z » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:38 pm

Oh, you're wanting to sync the LFO to the Volca's clock. Not going to happen unless you know a tech who can read schematics and modify the synth to accept an external clock for the LFO.

I can't think of many non-MIDI synths that have the ability to sync the LFO to external clock. Starting in the 90s, LFO MIDI sync started to be added to synths.

If you have a synth with CV inputs for VCF (Filter) or VCA (Amp), you can use a step sequencer with CV outs to send varying voltages to modulate the filter or amp like I demonstrate in this video:
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby zzzsheepyzzz » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:25 pm

Okay, thank you for the replies!
zzzsheepyzzz

Postby madtheory » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:38 am

One way to do what you want is to use the Arturia Beat Step as the sequencer for the Yamaha. You can sync the Beatstep and the Korg with MIDI clock.

Alternatively the Kenton Pro Solo allows the Yamaha to receive MIDI, so any hardware or computer based sequencer can talk to it.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:24 pm

It won't work for LFO speed (since that requires a modification of your Yamaha synth, as pointed out before), but if you want to sequence it as such, a Korg SQ-1 sequencer should do the job:

Volca Beats Sync Out => SQ-1 Sync In
SQ-1 CV & Gate Out => CS15D CV & Gate In.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SL MiniSynth Plus, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Kawai K1

Postby madtheory » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:20 pm

Ah yes, the SQ-1 would look nice with the Volca. I think though, that the Beatstep is the better sequencer?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:21 pm

madtheory wrote:Ah yes, the SQ-1 would look nice with the Volca. I think though, that the Beatstep is the better sequencer?

Not sure about the Beatstep (never used one), but I think it is more or less comparable to the SQ-1. The Beatstep allows saving sequences. however, which may (not necessarily though) be an advantege.

Of course, a Beatstep Pro would allow sequencing the Volca Beats (more conveniently than with the Volca's own sequencer) and the CS15D together. However, it costs more than twice as much than a SQ-1 or a Beatstep.

Disclaimer: I do have an SQ-1, a Beatstep Pro and a Keystep, but not a Beatstep, so I may be wrong about the latter.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SL MiniSynth Plus, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Kawai K1

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:13 am

The Beatstep is far more powerful than the SQ-1 in a number of ways. For example, if you want to quantize pitch CVs to major and minor scales, the SQ-1 will only do it in the key of C, Beatstep can do it in all 12 keys. Beatstep can save sequences and can back them up to a computer. Etc.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9

Return to HELP!