Korg MS 20 Mini CV Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
AK79
Gear: RolandSH09, RolandSH2, Korg PS6, Korg700S, SolinaStringEnsemble, MFOS SoundLabUltimate, YamahaDX7, YamahaCS01,SielOpera6, Korg Mono/Poly,OberheimOB8

Korg MS 20 Mini CV Problem

Post by AK79 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:55 pm

Hi folks,
I have problem here and maybe someone can help me out.

A client gave me a MS20 mini because he has trouble using it with external CV / Gate.

What I found after some messing around is :

if you play the MS20mini over its own keyboard you get a almost perfect scale across it.
If play it over MIDI / USB you get the same scale
If play it over the CV/GATE inputs on the panel you get rubbish. Middle C is ok but above you end up almost half a note out of tune per ovatave.
I use the Kenton pro usb and the owner of the synth has the same problem with the Arturia Beatstep.

I found that the CV output of the Kenton is pretty much what you will expect from a Hz/V scale. the Keyboard CV output of the MS20mini however is not.

I suspect that the Korgs keyboard is designed to give a scale that sits well with the VCOs - same applies to the internal MIDI/USB interface. But if you put in a normal HZ/V from whatever interface you end up nowhere.
I tried to tweak the scale on the Kenton but that did not help either.

Anybody here who could shed some light on this ? I have used the original MS20 for years with that same Kenton interface and never had any problems.

thanks
BR
Arne