Akai S900 Locking Up when pressing Rec or Edit Sample

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Akai S900 Locking Up when pressing Rec or Edit Sample

Postby lahatte » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:41 am

I got an S900 from ebay. It powers on with OS 1.2c chips installed. It locks up if Rec or Edit Sample buttons are pressed.

I re-seated all connectors and removable chips. It passes audio from the Rec In to the Mix Out when powered on.

I did the RAM test, is says "Bad RAM Bit DJ09". I don't know if that's the cause of the lockup, since there is no sample being read.

Any ideas?

Thanks.
lahatte

Re: Akai S900 Locking Up when pressing Rec or Edit Sample

Postby HideawayStudio » Sun Oct 22, 2017 10:41 am

Looks like you have a memory fault which might be causing one of the data lines to stick.

The memory itself should not be too hard to find but unfortunately it is soldered in place on the S900

HideawayStudio
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: 163 tubes in a large wooden box!
Band: Shortwave

Re: Akai S900 Locking Up when pressing Rec or Edit Sample

Postby lahatte » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:38 am

HideawayStudio wrote:Looks like you have a memory fault which might be causing one of the data lines to stick.

The memory itself should not be too hard to find but unfortunately it is soldered in place on the S900

Thanks. I am wondering if that may be the case. I don't know how exactly to find the problem chip though. I could replace them all, but I would prefer not if I don't have to.

I have seen some references to some chip locations based on error code, but not for this particular code.

Also, I have seen reference to this as a replacement. Good replacement?
https://www.jameco.com/z/41256-120-Majo ... 41398.html
lahatte

Return to HELP!