USB Audio/ASIO Issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

USB Audio/ASIO Issues

Post by bendragon » Tue Dec 05, 2017 11:24 am

Hello everyone.

I bought a TR-8 on Sunday and collected my TB-03 on Monday. I wish to connect both units to my computer over USB for audio and MIDI, but have ran into some horrible issues.

The TR-8 via ASIO4All in FLStudio 12 allows me to run each sound over its own mixer channel, which is fine-and-dandy (and pretty much a requirement since it only has stereo out). If I connect my TB-03 and restart the computer, the TR-8 has the "Beyond Logic" status in the ASIO panel. The TB-03 works, however, and I can select its output channel. If I try to change the audio rate, the TB-03 and TR-8 have a status of "Beyond Logic".

If I select "always resample 44.1 kHz <> 48 kHz" then I can get both units working, but the master output sounds like it's been horribly time stretched, and even then both units working is intermittent. From this I'm guessing the TR and TB use incompatible audio rates, which if true, is a big misstep on Roland's part.

I know I can use the input jacks on the back of the TR-8 to route the TB-03's audio to its own track, but I'll be getting a Korg Monologue for Christmas (shared Prime account, it didn't stay secret for very long :lol: ) and those jacks will be taken up by that. If there is any software available that could create an aggregate device akin to OSX or a patch-bay like JACK on Linux, that'd be grand. I don't want to have to buy more equipment to get this to work

I've also tried plugging the TB-03 into the Line-In on the motherboard, but after a few minutes it starts artifacting and generating crunching sounds whenever the 03 makes any form of sound; selecting another input source then switching back to Line-In fixes this, however, so I assume the on-board soundcard is just a bit s****y and its buffer dies a death.

Any advice?

Thank You!

ASIO4All 2.1.4
Windows 10 Professional 1709 Fall Update
Soundcard is the on-board unit built into my ASUS Prime B350-Plus motherboard
--alternatively, I can route the audio via my nVidia 1080 to my monitor that has its own speaker output
Last edited by bendragon on Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

meatballfulton
Gear: Logic Pro X

Re: USB Audio/ASIO Issues

Post by meatballfulton » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:06 pm

Check the manuals for both devices and see how to set the audio rate. No interface drivers will deal with mixed sample rates.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

bendragon
Gear: Novation Launchkey 49, Korg Monologue, Roland TR-8, Roland TB-03, VPROM 2.0, VSDSX, Behringer DeepMind 12

Re: USB Audio/ASIO Issues

Post by bendragon » Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:27 am

meatballfulton wrote:Check the manuals for both devices and see how to set the audio rate. No interface drivers will deal with mixed sample rates.
No such luck from the front panels. Nothing in the tissue paper manuals, either. Roland say I don't need to download drivers for Windows 10 1709 so I simply deleted them from Device Manager and reinserted the USB cables to get them to reinstall (again) from Windows Update.

Lo-and-behold, on something like the 6th attempt, Windows Update installs a Roland folder in the start menu with two configuration utility programs; one for the TR-8 and one for the TB-03. Set the TR-8 to 96KHz and voila. The TR-8, even though its supposed to be 96KHz by default, was running at 48KHz, a frequency the TB-03 doesn't support (44.1 and 96, vs 44.1, 48 and 96). Everything is running smoothly now.

What a faff :roll: :lol: