Best midi controller for my proteus 2500

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Best midi controller for my proteus 2500

Postby princefan3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:26 am

Hi Guys....could you recommend the best midi controller for my emu proteus 2500.

I am not using any laptop or software. I just want to be able to send midi data to my Atari with knob adjustments.

I need something very basic and not a massive board as I have little space.

Any advise welcome thank you.
princefan3

Re: Best midi controller for my proteus 2500

Postby meatballfulton » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:13 pm

If the feel of the keys are important, look at Novation Impulse and Akai MPK. These have about the best keybeds you will find. You can get them in 25, 49 or 61 keys. You can easily map the knobs and sliders to various CCs and save them as templates (presets) allowing you to duplicate the knobs on the 2500. You can probably also use the buttons and pads to control the buttons on the 2500. You'll need the 2500 manual to get the CC numbers.

Of course, if the 2500 will be within reach you might want to just tweak it's knobs directly and record that MIDI data into the Atari.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby princefan3 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:32 pm

Thanks for your reply meatball.

I have tried turning the knobs on the proteus as you say because I have positioned the rack unit within reaching distance, but the Atari is not playing back my knob movements at present.

The proteus is such an advanced unit that I very much doubt that it's not sending out midi data to the Atari.

I'm wondering if it is the yamaha pss580 keyboard that I'm using in order to play the proteus with, that maybe is the cause.

One of my friends says it's only the yamaha 680 that sends midi data out.

But I'm thinking should it really be the keyboards fault..? Humm.
princefan3

Postby meatballfulton » Sat Dec 16, 2017 2:23 pm

You need to have the MIDI OUT of the 2500 connected to the Atari MIDI IN.

Since you also have a keyboard connected, to do both at the same time you need what is called a MIDI Merger. It has two MIDI INs and one MIDI OUT.

If you simply want to overdub the knobs, disconnect the keyboard and connect the 2500.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to HELP!