Korg Electribe ES-1 Smart Media Card

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Korg Electribe ES-1 Smart Media Card

Postby trynafigureout » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:39 pm

Hi! I’m having a look at the Korg Electribe ES-1 and I had some questions about the Smart Media Card. First of all is it necessary to have one to use and play with the unit? What are the things you can do with it and can’t do without it? What are the specs it needs to have in order to suit the ES-1? Thanks a lot!
Last edited by trynafigureout on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
trynafigureout

Re: Korg Electribe ES-1 Smart Media Card

Postby Rasputin » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:16 pm

No, it's not required as there is internal flash memory. A card is the only way to transfer back-and-forth with a computer though, plus without the card then you have to be very selective in what you sample into it as you can't really load a "best of" unless it's from a card.

64MB is the largest card it can take, if I remember correctly. But you can also get an adapter that lets you use XD cards, so that opens up another avenue.
Rasputin

Postby trynafigureout » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:52 am

Thanks a lot for the info, if I’ll decide to get the unit I think I’ll definitely look for a card then.
trynafigureout

Postby meatballfulton » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:38 pm

Smart Media cards were available up to 128MB. No longer made, they are pricey on the used market.

You can use xD cards with an adapter, but only up to 128MB. xD cards are also no longer made.

Check eBay.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Jabberwalky » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:50 pm

You can fill up the internal memory of the Es1 with an 8mb card. Each sample needs to be numbered (00-99). WIth a max of 100 samples. 32khz, mono.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby Rasputin » Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:28 pm

https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/ar ... martmedia/

They say 64MB max as do some other posts on the Korg forums, etc. The Korg manual for the ES-1 also specifically states 3/3.3v SmartMedia of 4MB to 64MB.

It should be noted that this applies to the MKII model as well.

The xD card adapter is a decent solution, but an actual SmartMedia card can be left in during transport (or around drunken bandmates) as the ES-1 has a plastic "bumper" guard that comes out from the chassis. The xD card adapter has overhang, so it's best not to do too much moving around while it is in the ES-1.

On the plus side, xD card readers are more common and many built-in laptop readers can do xD whereas SmartMedia... not so much. I personally use xD to transfer back-and-forth [temporary] and then SmartMedia to archive favorite/oft-used/completed banks [semi-permanent].
Rasputin

Return to HELP!