Sending Sysex Files From PC To Korg Wavestation A/D

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Sending Sysex Files From PC To Korg Wavestation A/D

Postby astradyne » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi everyone.

Andy here, I'm a complete newbie to the world of Sysex and the Wavestation and I really could do with some assistance.

I recently bought a Wavestation A/D which I believe is loaded with the factory sounds. Available is RAM1, RAM2 and RAM3. I'm wanting to install further sounds on the unit, but to be honest I really haven't a clue...

I have installed MIDI-OX on my PC and have connected it via a data transfer lead to the Wavestation. MIDI-OX has found the Wavestation and I have made sure that I've selected the correct channel in the menu. I can load the Sysex files into MIDI-OX with no problems. When I hit "send Sysex" a transfer bar appears onscreen and the send appears to complete without issue. There is also a blue LED on the transfer cable which flashes rapidly as the file is being sent. This is as far as I have got...

The Wavestation doesn't seem to be receiving the files which are being sent to it. The red Midi Indicator on the unit isn't flashing while data is being transferred (the LED does work as it flashes when I press the keys on my keyboard). Also there is no indication in the Midi Status Channel Activity while files are being sent. The battery was changed a few months ago by the seller, so there shouldn't be any issues there.

So I'm at a complete standstill here and any advice would be warmly welcomed. A laymans guide to successfully transferring files would be a Godsend.

Sending thanks in advance.
astradyne

Re: Sending Sysex Files From PC To Korg Wavestation A/D

Postby madtheory » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:27 pm

The most common problems from top to bottom are:

1. The USB-MIDI cable is incorrectly connected: these are always labelled in a confusing way. Ignore the wording and look at the arrows on the plugs. MIDI IN should point to MIDI IN on the Korg, and MIDI OUT should point away from the MIDI OUT socket on the Korg.

2. The USB-MIDI cable does not have a big enough buffer for sysex: if it's a no brand cable, throw it away and buy a branded one such as Alesis or Roland.

3. Data transfer speed. From MID-OX FAQ "SysEx View: SysEx | Configure..., "[x] Delay after F7" is checked. You can experiment with the delays. Try 60 milliseconds initially. If that doesn't work, you can try reducing it." (I've corrected an error in the instructions there).

Let us know what works for you!
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.
Band: Minim

Postby astradyne » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:12 pm

madtheory wrote:The most common problems from top to bottom are:

1. The USB-MIDI cable is incorrectly connected: these are always labelled in a confusing way. Ignore the wording and look at the arrows on the plugs. MIDI IN should point to MIDI IN on the Korg, and MIDI OUT should point away from the MIDI OUT socket on the Korg.

2. The USB-MIDI cable does not have a big enough buffer for sysex: if it's a no brand cable, throw it away and buy a branded one such as Alesis or Roland.

3. Data transfer speed. From MID-OX FAQ "SysEx View: SysEx | Configure..., "[x] Delay after F7" is checked. You can experiment with the delays. Try 60 milliseconds initially. If that doesn't work, you can try reducing it." (I've corrected an error in the instructions there).

Let us know what works for you!

Hi madtheory. Thanks for your reply.

The DIN plugs on the cable I have are labelled in and out. Research on Google says that the out DIN goes to the midi in on the Wavestation, so this is the configuration I've used.

Yes, the cable is a no name generic brand, so I'll order a new quality cable today.

I will have to look into paragraph 3 once the new cable arrives and report back.

Thanks again.
astradyne

Postby madtheory » Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:55 pm

OK cool. Looks like I am confused myself about the orientation of the plugs! Are you able to send and receive MIDI notes from a DAW?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Pro Tools, Komplete, MIDIQuest, Novation KSR, Casio FZ1+SK5, Korg Legacy, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pads1+2, SPD11, OB Cyclone.

Postby astradyne » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:25 am

madtheory wrote:OK cool. Looks like I am confused myself about the orientation of the plugs! Are you able to send and receive MIDI notes from a DAW?

No idea what "DAW" is I'm afraid. As I said I'm completely new to this. The PC and Midi-ox both find the Wavestation without any issue whatsoever. That's as much as I know other than the Sysex files are being sent but not received.
astradyne

Postby madtheory » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:21 pm

Digital Audio Workstation (you could've googled it). Will record MIDI when you play the keyboard, then play it back. Reaper is probably the best "free" one. You could do that to confirm that MIDI is going correctly to and from the keyboard. It's a more reliable test than what MIDI-OX is telling you. AFAIK it will ID the USB interface, but even if it is connected correctly it won't be able to ID the keyboard.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Return to HELP!