Synth sound issue

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Synth sound issue

Postby pizzaboi » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:25 pm

A couple months ago I purchased a Korg DW-8000 in good condition. Everything worked fine except for this one thing. Right after I turned it on, the sound would be low and distorted for about two minutes. I found that if I held down several keys it would go away. Lately the issue has been going on for longer than before.

Here's a sound clip: https://clyp.it/cavkv4bk

Any ideas as to why this might be happening?
pizzaboi

Re: Synth sound issue

Postby ranzee » Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:45 am

Could be the battery.

Failing that, it could be the AMP circuit.
ranzee

Gear: http://www.ranzs.com/gear-list/
Band: ranzee ranz

Postby madtheory » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:52 pm

Most likely a dry joint in the audio path, or even dirt and corrosion in the jack sockets. You'll need service manual, scope, DMM and soldering iron to tackle it.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Novation KSR, PT12, VCZ, Redmatica, MIDIQuest, Casio FZ, SK5, Komplete, M1, Theremin, Digi Vocalist, Quadravrb+, Kaoss Pad, JV, SPD, Cyclone, Drummer.
Band: madtheory

Postby pizzaboi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:39 pm

ranzee wrote:Could be the battery.

Failing that, it could be the AMP circuit.

Hey thanks for the reply. I will be looking into that.
pizzaboi

Postby pizzaboi » Fri Jan 05, 2018 3:46 pm

madtheory wrote:Most likely a dry joint in the audio path, or even dirt and corrosion in the jack sockets. You'll need service manual, scope, DMM and soldering iron to tackle it.

Hey thanks for the reply. I'm a complete noob when it comes to synths and I have zero soldering experience, so that may be a bit much tackle on for me. What do you think? Is it simple enough for me to attempt? I should add that the power jack is a bit loose.
pizzaboi

Postby pizzaboi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:50 pm

I opened it up and looked around the jack sockets. It looked odd to me. There was this brown substance around it, kind of looked like coffee. Is this normal?

Also, the rest of the inside was fairly dusty as expected. Is it safe to start blowing out dust and cleaning the boards with rubbing alcohol, or should I unplug some things first?
pizzaboi

Postby fh991586 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:28 pm

Some basic knowledge:
-You should always unplug a synth before opening it, just to make sure you don't get a shock.
-Blowing some air to dust out the inside is always a good thing! Go for it all the way, moreover if it's the first time in a while it's opened.
-Don't use alcohol if you're not sure it's a good thing to do (not knowing beforehand, like now, means NO): some surfaces don't support alcohol, and you'll mess with it even worse! You can use Q-tips to remove stuff that you know is not supposed to be there, but that was too heavy to be blown away by the air you just blew. Keep it dry for now...
-If it's not too heavy, you can shake it a little to check if there anything loose inside (there shouldn't be most of the time!).

In the present situation, I can't help you more...
Considering parting away from:
-Roland TR707
-Yamaha DX7
-DSI Mopho

Gear for Sale: Roland M-OC1, M-BD1
fh991586

Gear: Roland Juno 106, JX3P, D50, U220, MVS1, JP8080.
Korg Kaossilator, Monotrons, MicroKorg, M3R.
Yamaha Motif Rack.
TherapSid

Postby pizzaboi » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:53 pm

fh991586 wrote:Some basic knowledge:
-You should always unplug a synth before opening it, just to make sure you don't get a shock.
-Blowing some air to dust out the inside is always a good thing! Go for it all the way, moreover if it's the first time in a while it's opened.
-Don't use alcohol if you're not sure it's a good thing to do (not knowing beforehand, like now, means NO): some surfaces don't support alcohol, and you'll mess with it even worse! You can use Q-tips to remove stuff that you know is not supposed to be there, but that was too heavy to be blown away by the air you just blew. Keep it dry for now...
-If it's not too heavy, you can shake it a little to check if there anything loose inside (there shouldn't be most of the time!).

In the present situation, I can't help you more...

Hey thanks for the tips. I have it unplugged from power, I was talking about the wires connected to the boards. I'm going to try to get rid of the dust first and then see if I'm feeling bold enough to remove the keybed and clean the keys/key contacts. Still don't know exactly what the cause of the distortion is on the output. The other replies in the thread mentioned the battery, amp circuit, and a dry solder joint in the audio path. I don't really have any of the common issues associated with a bad battery, and I don't know where the audio path or amp circuit is located. I looked at the jack socket and it looked fine to me.

Strangely enough, when I turned it on again, the issue was pretty much gone.
pizzaboi

Return to HELP!