Ensoniq EPS 16 Sync issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Ensoniq EPS 16 Sync issues

Postby thejbone13 » Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:24 pm

I'm having sync issues with my EPS 16.

I'll program a drum kit pattern or a breakbeat and the timing is just a bit off (the whole pattern seems to be shifted). My TR-8 and SH01 sync perfectly, but the EPS is slightly off. I've tried the EPS 16 sequencer as the master and my Engine to slave it, and it's off in each configuration. It seems if i just program some tracks in a sequence on the machine itself it stays in time. All the samples seem to be chopped right.

Is there some kind of global midi/note delay or something I'm missing? I've gone through the manual and googled and cannot find anyone with a similar issue!

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by thejbone13 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thejbone13

Re: Ensoniq EPS 16 Sync issues

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Jan 11, 2018 2:00 pm

Just curious, but if you turn on metronome for the EPS16, does that seem in time with the TR8 or SH01? Are you quantizing the pattern? Are your samples not truncated tight? Can't say I've experienced midi lag, but I also rarely use the eps sequencer.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby thejbone13 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 7:19 pm

So I tried just the metronome and it syncs with the TR8 nicely. So it must be that my samples aren't trimmed properly. They sound right, but maybe I need to change the sample start and truncate. Any tips or tricks on trimming samples would be appreciated!

I will experiment with this later and post my results.
thejbone13

Postby blueknob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:28 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Just curious, but if you turn on metronome for the EPS16, does that seem in time with the TR8 or SH01? Are you quantizing the pattern? Are your samples not truncated tight? Can't say I've experienced midi lag, but I also rarely use the eps sequencer.

This is actually very good advice/suggestions, I use the EPS16+ sequencer a lot, it works fine for me doing midi sync etc. BUT as mentioned, if the samples are not starting as the wavesample starts then "delays" can happen. I've seen some of the ensoniq library sounds that don't start at time zero, some have a section of zeros before the sound (wavesample) starts.

For learning How-To, there's now loads of guys doing tuts on YouTube. It's and easy process.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby thejbone13 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:48 pm

Well I adjusted the sample start on some of the samples and they are now syncing correctly! From hitting the keys they seemed to start on time, but i guess it just requires fine tuning. I will be cognizant of that from now on.
This is my first sampler of this type and I gotta say it does something special to whatever you put in it.

Thanks @Jabberwalky and @blueknob. Y'all were super helpful, this was driving me mental!
thejbone13

Return to HELP!