Dx7 E!xperts requested

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
nullspacevoyager

Dx7 E!xperts requested

Post by nullspacevoyager » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:53 pm

Hey there! I've been on a quest to revive an old Dx-7 Mk II with the Grey Matter E! card and this seems like the place to some help. When I picked it from a family member it had a dead battery and needed a few keys replaced. Now that part is taken care of and I've loaded some sounds in via sysex. Everything works and sounds great but I'm now having a configuration issue that I could use some assistance with. I think it's mostly and E! question but there may be a DX parameter setting that I'm missing as well. Any assistance greatly appreciated :D :D ! I'm inches from making my multitimbral dreams come true.

My plan is to use this as a multitimbral sound module with my Digitakt as the sequencer. I have this type of configuration successfully set up with my Esq-1 where I can record midi notes to the Digi and output them to any/all of the 8 channels available. I can't manage to make this work on the DX though.

I have poured through the E! manual and the DX-7 manual which has gotten me closer but I'm at a loss at this point. I can sequence the DX from the Digi just fine in single mode but when I try in octal it won't work. I can get the DX to respond to program changes with midi but no notes. I can only get notes through on the Midi Receive channel set on the DX in any voice mode.

Here's what ended up working for me if anyone else has the same issue:
- The DX track number corresponds to the midi channel it will receive data from.
- Omni is off to allow the DX to differentiate channels.
- The midi output channel of the Digi corresponds with input of desired DX track
- polyphony specified for each voice being used
- volume turned up on each track
- performance mode normal 1
- midi receive off
- Direct midi mode selected in E! engine menu
Last edited by nullspacevoyager on Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sonus

Re: Dx7 E!xperts requested

Post by Sonus » Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:51 pm

nullspacevoyager wrote: I can only get notes through on the Midi Receive channel set on the DX in any voice mode.
Select ENGINE menu MIDI IN normal / direct mode:

nullspacevoyager

Re: Dx7 E!xperts requested

Post by nullspacevoyager » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:44 pm

Thanks for the reply! I forgot to mention I selected direct mode already and it still doesn't work. I will update my first post to reflect that part.

Any other things to try? It says in the manual that sequencing the DX from an external sequencer should work but I haven't seen anyone mention that they've actually successfully done it. Has anyone gotten this particular functionality to work?