E-MU ESI2000 Internal Drive install

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

E-MU ESI2000 Internal Drive install

Postby Hyde » Fri Jan 19, 2018 3:22 am

I picked up this ESI2000 for nothing, basically. It's memory is fully expanded & is super clean. I have an external drive for it but, I have an internal Zip that I'd like to install so that it can be confined & really portable. Honestly, I don't even know if the drive works but, I'd like to give it a go(fun project, if nothing else).
So, here's where I'm stuck...

1. I don't know what cables to order for it. neither the cable from the floppy or the ribbon cable to the centronix SCSI plug are the correct size for the internal Zip. The power cable to the floppy drive doesn't fit the zip either. So, where do I go here?

2. Where should I set the jumper on the zip? Slave or Master?

Thanks in advance!
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Re: E-MU ESI2000 Internal Drive install

Postby Rasputin » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:27 pm

Well, first thing I would do is verify that you're trying to put a SCSI Zip into it and not an IDE Zip.

As far as the cabling goes: Yeah... you've got to rig up a custom cable or really hunt around for someone that might have one on offer. It's 100% achievable, but I'd only suggest it if you already know what you're doing or have lots of time to waste.

If you actually do have a SCSI Zip and are hellbent on using it in the ESI-2000 then I might be willing to do a tutorial, but as I said, not really worth it unless you need it.
Rasputin

Postby Hyde » Wed Jan 24, 2018 12:01 am

My Jaz drives won't work with it so, the zip was sort of my next possibility. I didn't realize they made an IDE & a SCSI drive for the internal drives. It must be an IDE. I found tutorial online but it didn't include enough info on the ribbon cable. The ESI2000 has a 50 pin connection on the motherboard & my Drive has a 40 pin connector.
Just had a look...
The model number on the drive is Z100ATAPI which seems to indicate it's an IDE drive. OK, I think you are in best judgment. Maybe i'll just have a look around for another drive. Thanks, as always!
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Postby Hyde » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:44 pm

Sort of a fix, here.
The AKAI S2000 works with the Jaz 1gig & the Jaz 2gig.
The E-MU ESI2000 only works with the Jaz 1gig
So I put my 2gig jaz over there & got the ESI2000 to work with the Jaz 1gig. The trick to get the E-MU ESI2000 to work with the Jaz 1gig, is to turn off termination & set it to an ID other than 0 or 5. I set mine @ 6. Formatted it, saved a file.

We're all good!
Makin' Noises
Hyde

Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Return to HELP!