Yamaha RX5 midi program change problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha RX5 midi program change problem

Postby WitchHunter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:34 am

So I've got the RX5 hooked up to my sequencer and master keyboard along with a couple other drum machines. When I use the transport functions on my sequencer, the RX5 starts and stops just fine. When I use the master keyboard to play the RX5 sounds, it works just fine, however, the program change/song change function doesn't work. I have the midi channels matched, and as I scroll through the program numbers on my sequencer, the RX5 just doesn't respond to this. It should respond though, according to the manual it recognizes program changes. I've tried different midi cables, same results. Does anyone know if it's just some super secret menu step I forget to switch on or off? Any help would be great.
WitchHunter

Re: Yamaha RX5 midi program change problem

Postby WitchHunter » Fri Jan 26, 2018 3:38 pm

Nevermind, figured out it doesn't do song program change.
WitchHunter

Postby Tidda » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:02 pm

According to the MIDI implementation chart it recognizes both program change and song select MIDI messages. :?
Tidda

Postby WitchHunter » Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:13 am

Yeah, I thought maybe though since it says "Note# asgn:pitch" in the Program Change column, that means it uses program change to change the pitch in some way, and not the actual pattern/song number? But below that it does say Song Sel 0-19 recognized...idk, I just can't figure out how to get it to change songs via midi. I even tried using a different sequencer thinking maybe it was some kind of sequencer clock related problem..nothing still. :(
WitchHunter

Postby Sonus » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:31 pm

WitchHunter wrote:... that means it uses program change to change the pitch in some way, and not the actual pattern/song number?

Program change message doesn't change the pitch, it selects a voice in 'Tunable Note Mode'.

WitchHunter wrote:... But below that it does say Song Sel 0-19 recognized...idk, I just can't figure out how to get it to change songs via midi.

Example: sending system common song select message 0xF3 0x05 will select song number 5.
Sonus

Postby WitchHunter » Sun Jan 28, 2018 4:47 am

Thanks. Yeah I think it's beyond my sequencers capabilities, which can only do program changes. Works with my Kawai drum machines at least..
WitchHunter

Postby WitchHunter » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:35 pm

OK so I figured this out completely. In case anyone else is wondering, program change does NOT affect patterns/song changes on the RX5 as it does on my other drum machines (Kawai R50/R100). Song Select, DOES however work. So on my Ensoniq SQ80 which I use as master controller/sequencer, going into song mode and changing songs does in fact change songs on the RX5 kfhkh
WitchHunter

Return to HELP!