How to fix non working Polysix buttons and key

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 60
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

How to fix non working Polysix buttons and key

Post by NCChao1268 » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:40 am

Just got a Polysix with no battery leakage, but turns out the hold button will not work or light on when pressed, and the number 4 and 5 button on the patch sometimes require more force to press or can be pressed regularly for them to work. How would these be fixed and are they easy fixes? I would imagine it would be removing the board and looking over the traces or something.

Also one of the keys (Lowest F) sometimes requires more force to push, what would the process be to fix a key that sometimes needs more force to push? I would also imagine would be pretty easy.

Please feel free to provide some input.

Thanks, -Nathan

PS: Has anyone ever replaced the wood parts on their Polysix?

polysixer

Re: How to fix non working Polysix buttons and key

Post by polysixer » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

It's very usual for the tact switches to become irresponsive with time, I replaced all of them for new ones in my Polysix last year. Be very careful when desoldering them because the LED plastic assembly is very fragile and prone to break, but the tact switches themselves are an easy and common part to find. Regarding the rubber keyboard contacts, it depends. Some might be totally worn out and the strip section has to be replaced. Some people use silver paste and that seems to fix the issue for a while. The best solution is to look for 3M carbon contact sticker disks, which definitely solve the problem in all carbon rubber contacts, but they're hard to find.

NCChao1268
Gear: Kurzweil K2000 fully upgraded
Roland Juno 60
Roland JX-8P
Korg DW 8000
Polysix
Alesis SR-16
Yamaha DX7

Post by NCChao1268 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 8:50 am

Hey Polysixer,

Thanks for replying, I myself have done some research on the repairs and think the buttons will be an easy job, maybe cleaning will help. On the key contacts though, I have heard people say that using alcohol to clean them would not be the best idea since they could wear away the carbon?, would there be any better alternatives such as dish washer soap, water or contact cleaner instead? I might go with the silver paste method if there are no negative side effects after a while.

minime123
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by minime123 » Sun Feb 18, 2018 2:19 pm

It's quite common for tact switches to go bad over time in a number of synths. We just got another Polysix and a couple Prophet VS's for restoration and both will have their full set of switches replaced (and a lot more servicing) so they work perfectly again.
mini
VINTAGE SYNTH DEALER
- We Buy Sell Trade Repair Vintage Synths
- We Buy Broken Gear & Parts Too...
- Huge Selection, Dependable Service
- https://tonetweakers.com