Kawai K3 Keys Dead?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Kawai K3 Keys Dead?

Postby splagoot » Sun Feb 11, 2018 9:49 am

Hey guys, I got myself a Kawai K3 quite some time back, it worked fine at the time. However, recently keys have been dying, and it is every sixth key or so.

I went through another topic that said it may have been the rubbers, but those are fine.

Anyone have any clue what's up?
splagoot

Re: Kawai K3 Keys Dead?

Postby Yekuku » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:36 pm

Since the problem has a repeating pattern over 6 keys, it could be the the cable that connects the keyboard to the main pcb. Unplugging / plugging it , could fix it.
Other than that it could be a key assigner problem which could be hard to troubleshoot.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Rasputin » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:42 pm

We need more information to give a real response:

Can you identify the actual, specific keys? Starting from the lowest to the highest, like "C2, F#2, D3..." or whatever the case may be. It very well may be relevant.

Also, when you say, "have been" going dead... does that mean they all die and come back as a group, or one key has gone out at a time (progressively worse), or they all went dead at once and never came back? Again, this is pretty relevant.

Here's a test though:

Turn on "MONO" mode.
Press a key (doesn't matter which one).
Turn off "MONO" mode.

Press C4, D3, E3, F3, G3, and then A3.

If one of them doesn't work, report back on which one and then perform the same test except pressing the same keys except an octave up from the first test. Report back on which keys are dead.
Rasputin

Postby splagoot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:31 am

After a busy couple of days, I have gotten around and checked what keys don't work.

So, these keys are:
E1, E2, E3, F3, B3, C4, E4, B4, C5, E5, B5, C6, E6, F6, B6.

Hopefully that helps figure out what the problem is. I did try unplugging the keyboard, but the problem still stands.
splagoot

Postby Rasputin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:29 am

splagoot wrote:Hopefully that helps figure out what the problem is. I did try unplugging the keyboard, but the problem still stands.

Still need the rest of the info.
Rasputin

Postby splagoot » Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:42 am

Oh sorry!

Yeah, all those keys have died all at once and never came back. It was working perfectly fine until then.

I double checked today to see if there was any corrosion on the circuit board just in case, and there seems to be none if that helps?
splagoot

Postby Rasputin » Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:29 am

I have to confess that your situation isn't making much sense to me at the moment. Those keys--and only those specific keys--shouldn't have died all at once like that. I feel like there should be more dead keys or some other important information is missing from what's going on.

I say that because of the way that either the voices or key matrix would fail can explain the 'E' keys, but some of the others are inconsistent in an electrical sense. It would make sense if it was a mechanical failure, but then they wouldn't have died suddenly and completely. #-o

If someone told me they had those dead keys and gave me no other information, I would have guessed that the synth was left in the closet for 15 years and a couple compound problems were causing it, not that the synth was working five minutes ago, and now... *poof*, those exact keys are dead.

If it sounds like I'm taking some personal dig at you or something, that's not where I'm trying to go at all. I just mean I'm having trouble putting the puzzle pieces together. :thumbleft:

To elaborate:

If it was an electrical thing related to the key matrix, it would make the most sense for ALL of a given key/note name to be out--so each and every A#, C, or B or whatnot. Or alternately an entire consecutive octave (or the last 5 highest keys) should be out.

If it was a voice related issue then it should manifest where the particular notes would change/wander depending on MONO mode, etc.

The odd smattering of keys would make me think something more like channel 5 is out, plus worn contacts and/or dust bunnies for the rest. But that can't be if they all died suddenly and at once.

So I think we're missing something crucial.

Try putting it into MONO mode and then test the entire keybed and report which keys are dead.
Rasputin

Postby splagoot » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:49 am

Hey man, so I went back and tried testing the keys in MONO, and again:

E1, E2, E3, F3, B3, C4, E4, B4, C5, E5, B5, C6, E6, F6, B6.

I talked to the guy who I got the synth from, and it was left in a garage for quite some time, he just cleaned it up and gave it away basically.

Sorry for the late reply, let me know if you need more information!
splagoot

Postby Rasputin » Fri Mar 02, 2018 6:13 pm

splagoot wrote:MONO: E1, E2, E3, F3, B3, C4, E4, B4, C5, E5, B5, C6, E6, F6, B6.

I talked to the guy who I got the synth from, and it was left in a garage for quite some time, he just cleaned it up and gave it away basically.

I've slept on this and it still doesn't make any sense to me. So the guy dug it out of the garage, gave it to you, it was working perfectly for (x) amount of time, and then all those keys suddenly die at the same time when you're using it? Is that correct?

When you do the test in mono mode, are you always starting from the same key (like low C, moving to high)? What happens if you start from... let's say... low C#? Same outcome?
Rasputin

Postby splagoot » Thu Mar 15, 2018 12:06 am

Hey!

Again, I apologise for the late reply, I've been quite busy as of late.

Yeah, that is correct. The only thing he did was clean up the outside before he gave it to me.

I tried starting at different points on the keyboard, but the same keys still seem to be the issue. I might just hire someone to look at it before too long, because I would love to have it in top working order.
splagoot

Postby mdaralov » Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:55 pm

Rasputin wrote:I've slept on this and it still doesn't make any sense to me. So the guy dug it out of the garage, gave it to you, it was working perfectly for (x) amount of time, and then all those keys suddenly die at the same time when you're using it? Is that correct?

When you do the test in mono mode, are you always starting from the same key (like low C, moving to high)? What happens if you start from... let's say... low C#? Same outcome?

Hi Rasputin,

It is my first time here on this forum, but I think I have the missing information. Here is my story:

I have a Kawai K3 as well. I also have the problem where SOME keys do not work SOMETIMES. Meaning that in MONO mode for example, everything works. In non mono mode, some keys do not work. However, the keys that don't work change. So some keys might not work at a certain time but if I start playing around, some of those keys come back on and other keys that were previously working do not anymore. I hope that clears the explanation about the issue itself.
So I got a hold of a Service Manual of the keyboard and it is either quite complicated or unclear for me to understand if there is a solution for that issue there. There is a test similar to the one you are suggesting that I did, and it turns out "Channel 6" is dead. I also did your test, and it is always the A key (in the respective octave that does not play). So I am guessing that this confirms that a specific channel (voice?) is dead.

Do you have some sort of solution for that? Do you think one of the channels can be completely eliminated?

Thanks for your help,

Martin
mdaralov

Return to HELP!