Proteus 2500 midi port failed

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Proteus 2500 midi port failed

Postby princefan3 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 9:00 pm

Hi all....I went into the diagnostics setting and did a midi test.

The result said.....midi loop back test....midi port failed

What does this mean please.

I am hearing sound from the machine from a mother keyboard but it's not registering the midi notes on my Atari
So therefore does not play my sequenced notes back.

Any ideas before I do a full factory reset.
princefan3

Re: Proteus 2500 midi port failed

Postby Rasputin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:21 am

Do you actually have a MIDI cable plugged directly from the MIDI Out to the MIDI In and nothing else in between? If not, no way to do the loopback.

If you actually do have a bad MIDI out jack then it's still probably not too much of a crisis, as that's almost always a relatively simple fix as far as synth repairs go.
Rasputin

Postby princefan3 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:41 am

Thank you Rasputin....was just about to do the factory reset but didn't want to...had cables running all over the place and somehow I've got going, thank goodness it was like waiting for the DFS sale to end.

I thought the midi connector had failed at the back of the unit bit it hasn't.

Now all I have to work out is how to use the novation impulse 25 controller knobs to control the proteus ADSR etc front panel knobs....would I have to turn the proteus local off for that do you think Rasp.
princefan3

Postby Rasputin » Fri Mar 30, 2018 10:55 am

princefan3 wrote:Now all I have to work out is how to use the novation impulse 25 controller knobs to control the proteus ADSR etc front panel knobs....would I have to turn the proteus local off for that do you think Rasp.

Not my area of specialty, but I don't believe so.

Local off just means that a device doesn't pay direct attention to its own controls -- unless it receives them via its own MIDI in port. In other words, if its MIDI out gets looped back to its own MIDI in via another device like a sequencer. So basically it's when you want to use something as a controller and also treat it like a separate sound module as well, instead of a standalone synth. You're effectively separating its knobs/keys from the rest of the sound module -- splitting it into two different pieces of hardware, more-or-less.

But probably more to the point...

Just assign the MIDI CC value of whatever parameter on the Proteus you want to control to a particular knob of the Novation controller and that should do it. I'm not that familiar with those specific devices, nor your setup, but that's how I assume it should work.

If the Novation has MIDI learn (I'm guessing so) then send the Proteus MIDI out to the Novation MIDI in and fiddle a Proteus setting when a Novation knob is in learn mode. After all your knobs are mapped, then hook the Novation out to the Proteus in.

Or... connect the Novation to your computer/sequencer MIDI in, then the computer MIDI out to the Proteus. That makes more sense to me, but I guess it depends on what you're trying to do and your workflow.
Rasputin

Return to HELP!