Oberheim DSX - Quantize question

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Oberheim DSX - Quantize question

Postby discodisco » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

Hi Fellow DSx users,

Have any of you been able to get a consistent gate time out of the DSX with the quantise feature?
As far as I can tell, on my machine, quantising 16th notes with 1/16 quantise mode only snaps the note-on into place, however the gate times (note-off) are all different, as it seems to retain the note-off data from how it was played in on the keyboard. Not sure if I'm making sense, suffice to say that it seems to be impossible to enter in a row of 16th notes with identical gate times (like on any step sequencer), making the sequencer a bit useless for my purposes.
Hopefully there might be a workaround?

Disco Computer,
discodisco

Re: Oberheim DSX - Quantize question

Postby Bleppe » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:34 pm

discodisco wrote:Hi Fellow DSx users,

Have any of you been able to get a consistent gate time out of the DSX with the quantise feature?
As far as I can tell, on my machine, quantising 16th notes with 1/16 quantise mode only snaps the note-on into place, however the gate times (note-off) are all different, as it seems to retain the note-off data from how it was played in on the keyboard. Not sure if I'm making sense, suffice to say that it seems to be impossible to enter in a row of 16th notes with identical gate times (like on any step sequencer), making the sequencer a bit useless for my purposes.

Disco Computer,

Hi Disco Computer,

I've also "discovered" this behaviour and have kind of adopted how to play when using the DSX with my OB-Xa.

Another thing that I've also discovered is that even if I've performed a 1/16th note quantise on let's say an 16th note arpeggio the notes doesn't really feel 100% quantised.
But, the longer the DSX stays powered on the better it gets...but not 100% tight
So if I power up the DSX and play a saved quantised sequence straight away the notes feel a all over the place, but if I let the DSX work or stay powered on for an hour it performs much better.
It doesn't matter if I use the DSX as a Master or if I salve it from the Oberheim DX or another 96 ppqn clock source...it always performs better when it's warmed up.

I don't know if this is the way the DSX works or if the clock in the DSX has some jitter due to dirty power rails (bad caps, regulators etc) that affects the clocking in a negative way.

Maybe the Oberheim master repairman Synthchaser has some words of wisdom in this case?

BTW, Dan Nigrin has crreated a software called DSX Hack which lets you encode MIDI files into DSX sequences.
Please check it out! http://defectiverecords.com/dsxhack/index2.html

Bleppe,
Bleppe

Re: Oberheim DSX - Quantize question

Postby Lukcook » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:17 pm

discodisco wrote:Hi Fellow DSx users,

Disco Computer,

Hello

I would really apreciate if you could answer me this questions.

I have this Sequencer and the Oberheim OB8.

Can this sequencer save different patches on each track? For example, Bass part on sequence 1 track 1. And string part on sequence 1 and track 2.
I was trying everything. The manual mentions the 0 button. This 0 button saves the patches and splits. But can it save different patches for each track??

Thanks for everything and sorry for interuption.

Cheers
Luka
Lukcook

Return to HELP!