Roland Juno 106 - no sound, unresponsive.

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland Juno 106 - no sound, unresponsive.

Postby bau-bau » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 am

Hi, new to forum.

I've got a Juno 106. It has been well used. There is currently no sound. I cannot enter test mode.

The unit powers up and all the LED'S light up, but you cannot switch them off, i.e the unit is unresponsive.

Internally, although I am not a tech guy, i cannot see any evidence of blown electronics etc - it seems pretty clean in general. I have checked all the internal fuses that I can see and they are all o.k. Any idea's where to start?

I have downloaded the service manual and have a basic multimeter.

Any help appreciated, thanks
bau-bau

Re: Roland Juno 106 - no sound, unresponsive.

Postby part12studios » Fri May 11, 2018 3:38 pm

you really should take it to a professional in your area. i don't think an issue like this has a simple obvious fix but you may also be surprised to learn that whatever the problem is, might be singular and once found everything works again.. so while it may take some money to bring it back, it can be brought back.

Something is likely shorting out somewhere.. something that intercepts the system before even the test mode can be activated. i've owned a couple of these over the years but never serviced them personally beyond simple cleaning. When I restored my latest one which had the classic voice chip problem, I let a local with experience do it rather than risk my own so-so soldering skills.
part12studios

Re: Roland Juno 106 - no sound, unresponsive.

Postby micahjonhughes » Fri May 11, 2018 6:32 pm

You've already been warned.

So, if you are throwing caution to the wind, checking that the power supply is generating the right DC voltages would be a first step. Page 18 of the Service Manual shows where the test points are.

But you really do need to be careful. This must be done with the synth on, and you are sticking your hands near full AC voltage. Touch the wrong spot and it will be like sticking your hand in the socket. Or, somewhat less awful, you could send the wrong voltage down a line and fry components. So, there are mortal dangers to self and the synth.

If you tell us where you are at, we might also be able to recommend a tech.
micahjonhughes

Return to HELP!