E-MU Proteus 2000 Rack Ear Screws - #6-32

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

E-MU Proteus 2000 Rack Ear Screws - #6-32

Postby aoresteen » Sat May 12, 2018 2:14 am

I've been using E-Mu rack mount sound modules for about 6 years now and just love them. I have 3 in my MIDI rack and I just bought another Proteus 2000. Luckily my new one came with the very hard to find rack ears but were missing the mounting screw.

Two weeks ago I wrote to E-MU support ( support@emu.com ) asking for the rack ear screw spec. As of today still no reply. Ugh. So after a week waiting, I tried to figure it out myself.

Pulling a screw from one of my E-Mu units, I measured it with a digital micrometer. I was pretty sure it was a #6-32 1/4" long pan head but it might have been a #5-40 1/4" long pan head so I ordered a few of both sizes off of eBay to be sure.

The screws arrived today. Turns out the the screw is in fact a #6-32 1/4" long pan head screw. Then I realized I already had a bunch of them in my computer repair junk screw box. These screws are the same size screws that are used to screw in a standard 3.5" computer hard drive. Some screws I found were longer than 1/4" but I had plenty of the right size. Problem solved.

My MIDI rack. The Proteus 2000 & Virtuoso 2000 all have 4 ROMs each in them.

The Proteus 2000, B3, MoPhatt, Orbit 3, Vintage Pro, Virtuoso 2000, and Audity 2000 rack ears are no longer available from E-Mu/Creative and sold out at least 10 years ago. I needed two rack ears 3 years ago and it took me a long time to track them down. A real long time. The good news is there is a seller on eBay now selling new replacement E-Mu rack ears. The bad news is that he is charging $60 a pair shipped from Thailand. I paid $30 for a used pair 3 years ago and thought that it was way expensive back then for a part that E-Mu had sold new for $7.95 per PAIR. But at least it's an option if you need to rack mount an E-MU sound module

I posted this so that anyone else who needs screws for E-Mu rack ears can find this and not have to wait for E-MU to reply (maybe never).
aoresteen

Return to HELP!