Casio CZ-1000 dead

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio CZ-1000 dead

Postby xerox » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi all.

First time poster and synth newbie and maybe someone here can guide me in the right direction.

I picked up this Casio CZ-1000 for virtually nothing at a car boot sale. No promises regarding functionality or anything. But I hoped it would work.

It doesn’t. I inserted 6 batteries and when I turn it on nothing happens. Not even the lamp at the ON/OFF switch.

I’ve tried the reset button with the unit in ON mode.

I have also opened the unit and when ON for a while I noticed that the IC (?) marked LA4138 gets warm.

No other signs of life.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

I’m not very good reading/understanding schematics.

Greetings
/mattias
xerox

Re: Casio CZ-1000 dead

Postby Rasputin » Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:45 pm

xerox wrote:It doesn’t. I inserted 6 batteries and when I turn it on nothing happens. Not even the lamp at the ON/OFF switch.

I have also opened the unit and when ON for a while I noticed that the IC (?) marked LA4138 gets warm.

I’m not very good reading/understanding schematics.

You have a digital multi-meter and a soldering iron, I'm assuming?

My assumption with any small synths like that is that someone lost the power adapter and tried an incorrect one at some point in its history. So I would start by tracing from the power jack back to any protection diodes and voltage regulators. Obviously, this is a synth that can be run from batteries as well, so trace from the batteries as well and look at your first common point in the circuit between the DC jack and the batteries.
Rasputin

Re: Casio CZ-1000 dead

Postby xerox » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:34 pm

Thanks for your input.

Will investigate further.

All the best
/mattias
xerox

Return to HELP!