Yamaha DX21 not working

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha DX21 not working

Postby cake100 » Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:10 pm

Hi, I picked up a DX21 at a flea market quite cheap. It was a punt but it looked in good condition.

I tried to power it up and the LED is dead. I plugged in some headphones and when you turn it on, you get the pop sound when you turn on any amplifier - so there is some power.
I took a look inside and took the battery out as it was dead. There was some corrosion underneath which did not affect the board. I have yet to replace it.

I looked at the power board and checked the continuity of every soldered part. It seemed they were OK.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Edit:
I resolved the issue with the help of the guys at the yamahamusicians.com forum.
I changed the internal battery, LED, did a factory reset and it solved the issue.
Last edited by cake100 on Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
cake100

Re: Yamaha DX21 not working

Postby cake100 » Sun Jul 15, 2018 3:14 pm

I replaced the battery and no change.

I plugged a midi cable out into another syth and the DX21 works as a controller.
I tried it with the DX21 receiving midi and there was no sound.

Any ideas?

Cheers.
cake100

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:49 am

cake100 wrote:I replaced the battery and no change.

I plugged a midi cable out into another syth and the DX21 works as a controller.
I tried it with the DX21 receiving midi and there was no sound.

Any ideas?

I may be mistaken, but did you actually load sounds (via sysex, unless you programmed something yourself) into the synth after you replaced the battery? 'cos if not, it's normal that it won't produce any sound.

When you select sounds, what does the display show?

Here's some more info on that topic.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Postby keyyman2 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:14 am

The DX21 is very confusing, even if you initialize it, you only end up with 8 patches on the A row. The rest you have to select and restore from the Voice ROM, using the voice load features, either in chunks of 8 (there are 4 spots, A1-A8, A9-A16 and same for B row). Otherwise you end up with empty patches and glitched screens. If you want to be sure it works, just hold down the 1and 2 buttons on the A row while powering up, then hit no when the menu comes up for the battery voltage (it may need replacing BTW). At least you can easily copy/store from the default A1-A8 voices to the others and be sure they store the patch. Otherwise you need to use the voice load feature to restore voices off the ROMs...
keyyman2

Return to HELP!