Battery Issue Korg DS 8

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Battery Issue Korg DS 8

Postby SEM » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:07 pm

I've got some issues (or not) with my Korg DS8. It was bought in 2007, the battery has never been replaced and the synth has been in storage for sometime. It has retained all of it's memory/patches and I'm just wondering how it has done this as it's recommended that the battery is changed every five years. I have done a sysex patch dump but I'm not sure if this has worked 100% (the file size is 7.4 KB). So, I would like to change the battery but don't know if I can safely do this without losing all of the patches unless the machine is left on during the process (this was suggested to me elsewhere but is surely not a good idea).
Many thanks for any help.
SEM

Re: Battery Issue Korg DS 8

Postby Jabberwalky » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:36 pm

Sounds like you don't actually have any issues! Also, don't go changing a battery with the power on!

Back them up, like you have already, then reload. (sysex dumps are tiny, so 7.4kb isn't out of the ordinary)

Better yet, just check the voltage of the battery with it off and unplugged to see if you need to worry about it.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Re: Battery Issue Korg DS 8

Postby SEM » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:04 pm

No way was I going to change it that way! I've just been told that if you change the battery within an hour (having taken the precaution of a SysEx dump), the memory would not be lost anyway. Not sure if that's true but it sounds promising. I just don't get how after more than ten years the memory is till be retained- that's why I'd rather change the battery than risk something going wrong and I'm just a bit nervous about the reliability of a SysEx/older synth/modern laptop chain. I hadn't considered a voltage check so will do that. Many thanks for the reply.
SEM

Return to HELP!