How to make an ensoniq cdrom anyone?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

How to make an ensoniq cdrom anyone?

Postby blueknob » Mon Aug 13, 2018 3:37 pm

Something from a bygone age but something I've yet to do, hmm.. sounds dodgy, make an ensoniq EPS16+ readable cdrom of my sound library. Just the usual thing, I have either all my sounds on an ensoniq hard drive or as efe files on a computer, now need to figure out how to make them into a iso or whatever to burn a cdrom. Does anyone know the process?

I've seen on Garth's knowledgebase to use disk2cd.exe from Goldenhawk, but alas that file/zip has left the planet. It should have been a HD to cdrom copy thing. I cannot buy his Translator for legal reasons ;)

Nero doesn't seem to read the ensoniq HD, it sees (rather Windows sees) the drive but doesn't understand what it is, so can't do anything with it.

I've looked at MagicISO and ImgBurn but both seem the same, will copy cds but not hard drives. MagicIso did threaten to copy HD but didn't see the scsi drive.

I also have EPSm on a Mac, but not yet figured out how to create an image file or ISO. I almost got there by somehow creating a "toast" file but the Mac refused to work with the cd-burner I installed. And for some crazy reason the Mac refused to make it accessable for file transfer over LAN.

Then I hear Giebler's EDM should do it (which I own), use the "archive" function then burn a cdrom from that, but I seem to recall that will produce a big efe of all the files, then how do we get that efe to an iso? Just burn it as a single data file to a iso configured cdrom?

Thoughts invited.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Re: How to make an ensoniq cdrom anyone?

Postby Rasputin » Mon Aug 13, 2018 5:50 pm

Hails Blue!

Off the top of my head, here's what to do. I could be forgetting a small detail, but this should work:

- Install Total Commander + EnsoniqFS plugin.
- Create a virtual disk image ISO the size of a CD, 650MB or whatever.
- Use TC/EnsoniqFS to copy your fav banks over to the virtual disk you just created.
- Burn ISO with ImgBurn.
- Profit.
Rasputin

Postby Yekuku » Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:28 pm

thank you very much for the information Rasputin, I wish I knew this method when I was making transwave patches on an ASR-10 a long time ago.
Concerning the Roland/Akai/Kurzweil/EMU sampler format, do you have any magic tricks ? (Sorry for hijacking the thread with my semi - irrelevant question :? )
thanks
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Postby Rasputin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 6:28 am

Yekuku wrote:Concerning the Roland/Akai/Kurzweil/EMU sampler format, do you have any magic tricks?

Yay, Yekuku! :)

That's a broad question... E-mu Emax II and EIIIx volumes are very easy to make with EMXP though. I guess it depends on what you're starting with and where you want to end up.

@blueknob:

Not that it really matters, but I have that disc2cd.exe utility you were looking for:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1X1U2l ... o9LIun-OA7
Rasputin

Postby Yekuku » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 am

Haha , it is a broad question indeed!
Back in the days I used to make all sorts of sample libraries, hoping that some day I will be able to burn them into cd's.
I remember trying some chickensys software to burn AKAI format, but with no luck .
I was just hoping that you had some magical answer just like the ones you usually have :)
You gave me motive in order to investigate this further, I will post the results if I have luck this time.
thanks
Yekuku

Postby blueknob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:25 am

Thanks for the great suggestion Mr R, alas, gloom. I've installed Total Commander 9.2 and then got the EnsoniqFS.zip and installed as per instructions (win98SE+scsi)... but... eventhough Total Commander has the EnsoniqFS plugin installed, it just doesn't see any ensoniq HD or CD. I've sent an email to the man in charge, hope it's an easy fix.

Thanks too for the copy2cd util.

yekuku - Emus, I use ESiWin to make iso images that work for my Esi-32.
blueknob

Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Postby Yekuku » Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:32 am

Hi blueknob, I have not tested Rasputin suggestion yet , I will provide feedback as soon as I try it.
I had no idea about EsiWin, I will check it out, I just hope it works with the E4 series.
many thanks
Yekuku

Postby Rasputin » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:53 pm

blueknob wrote:eventhough Total Commander has the EnsoniqFS plugin installed, it just doesn't see any ensoniq HD or CD.

And you're going in through Network Neighborhood?

Is the issue that the physical disk is not visible? Or is it that the logical volume can't be explored?
Rasputin

Postby blueknob » Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:33 pm

yup the EnsoniqFS plugin seems to be all present and correct, it's there under the Network Neighbourhood section. I click on "refesh" which looks to see what drives are attached, does nothing. The same as click this -> X did nothing right?

Even if I click on the cdrom in EnsoniqFS, it seems to go up the directory to reveal, nothing, same for physical disk. Click and nothing. A clue is in the Tools app, which says no drive found.

Just as a check, I fired up EDM and that works fine over the scsi/HD. EDM being the Giebler Ensoniq Disk Manager/DOS thing. Windows98se sees the ensoniq HD too, wants to format it.

Yekuku » EsiWin is just for the Esi series, I think EMXP can do file shuffing for the bigger E series.

:blackeye:
Damn, I found an option in EDM that looked to make a HD image for CDrom (menu item I) , so I ran it producing a .nrg which should be good for Nero. Burned a cdrom in Nero, all seemed good but nope, the EPS16 doens't recogise it. Tried again with different settings in Nero5, "all at once" and "finalize", again nope, EPS16 doesn't see it. I notice the EDM nrg file starts of with the Giebler intoduction, made using.. registered to etc.
I also tried that nrg in ImgBurn but that doesn't recognise that type of nrg file. And neither does MagicIso.

Tried an Adaptec CD cdrom maker for Win 95, nope that doesn't see the ensoniq hd data.

Then tried that Goldhawk copy2cd thing, again foiled as my hd is 2GB and so it can only copy the first 650MB (as expected) but then says it could well yield an unreadable cdrom, yet another one.
Can't reformat the drive to 650MB in EPSm, says it can't format "that" type of drive.
The ensoniq gods really don't want me to have the ability to make my own cdroms.

Indications suggest, need a smaller HD that matches a cdrom capacity. I formatted the HD from the EPS16 so that will have gone for max space. I can only think EDM used the full 2GB so things got lost after the 650MB cdrom limit. I think EDM did ask for max capacity, menu option I is not mentioned in the manual that came with EDM.

No response from the guy who wrote the ensoniqfs for Total Commander.

Being upbeat for a moment, some of the smilies are really good, I just had to use the blackeye one, made me laff.
blueknob

Postby blueknob » Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:48 pm

ok I've made progress, it doesn't work on Win98se, so I put TC and EnsoniqFS on XP - yey! What even better is, my HD is a CF, my XP has a CF slot so I don't even need scsi. I've now copied all my CF ensoniq files to my XP machine, I notice the names get changed: was, piano.efe TC makes them piano.[03].efe not sure what the [03] means.

update, I think hese numbers relate to what typs of data they are [23] is a bank, [09] is a macro.

So now I'm getting excited, I make an iso image 640MB in size, TC loads that it, I copy across all my efe. I then use ImgBurn to make a cdrom... all going well... (builds suspense).. put cdrom into EPS16+, change storage device.. goes well, I can see the directories but they seem to start at 0 (zero).. I select a directory to go in... drat! EPS16 goes nutz, it says "EXIT TO CS./D" pressing any buttons makes it go nutz. So close but so far.
I connect up the scsi/cf to the EPS16 and notice as expected the directories should start at file 1 not 0.

Any clues? What size of iso do I need, what have I got wrong? I used 640MB when creating the virtual image in TC, ImgBurn says it was 671,088,640bytes. The cdrom I made from the image even looks ok in TC.

ok got a bit further. It seems TC/EnsFS hasn't created the file listing at root correctly. If I look at the cdrom using EPSm I can see all the root folders but they show to be containing zero sub directories which they do. All other directories up the tree show containing further sub-directories which is correct. That's probably why the EPS16 goes nutz. But all is well when reading the cdrom in EDM (Windows) and EPSm (Mac OS7) neither think the cdrom is wrong!?

Update: I've been poking about, it seems some years ago I used Translator to make a cdrom of my files, yes it worked. I've now been looking for differences between the various iso made to date. From what I can see TC/EnsoniqFS doesn't make a ROOT file listing which the EPS16 needs to have, whereas all my other image file generation methods have.

I have some more ideas to explore, stay tuned.

UPDATE: phew! we got there in the end. I bought two CF cards a Delkin Devices (500MB) and a Transcend 1GB. It turns out the MPL CF drive doesn't like the Delkin CF although it works fine in computerland. The Transcend worked fine but I couldn't get to format it to 640MB in EDM (Win98se) or EPSm (mac os7), strange. Anyway I used Total Commander/EnsoniqFS to format the 1GB to 640MB on my pc, took it to EPSm and copied all my efe files onto it. Then back to TC to make an ISO from the drive (CF) then burn a CDrom with that ISO and yey! it worked, the EPS16+ reads it all perfectly!
So now I have a 1GB CF formatted as a 640MB ensoniq drive, should be easy now to make cdrom iso from that.
blueknob

Return to HELP!