Peavey Spectrum Synth, Strange Acting on MIDI, No Output

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
lahatte

Peavey Spectrum Synth, Strange Acting on MIDI, No Output

Post by lahatte » Sun Aug 26, 2018 3:03 am

I got a Peavey Spectrum synth via ebay. The seller said it worked fine prior to shipping.

The issue is that sometimes when I plug in the power adapter, the three digit seven segment display shows partial characters. Other times it powers on fine, but when it receives a MIDI signal the display flashes a bright 1.00, then back to the patch number. Also the 4 lights for the MIDI filtering all flash on. And there is never any audio output.

I reseated all the IC's that are in sockets. I think the battery is dead (not the CR2032 replaceable type), so I don't know if that might have an effect (though I cannot imagine why it would).

It seems like something could be wrong with the MIDI input section.

Anyone have experience with this or similar Peavey units (Spectrum Bass, Organ).

Also, a schematic and service manual would be helpful..

The images below show what it does when I press a key on my controller keyboard. First, the center seven segment '0' lights very brightly, then it shows all the MIDI indicator lights, then it shows the 1.00 (version number?), then goes back to displaying the patch number. Version 1.00 is the IC that is installed.

Thanks.
Clay