Ensoniq SQ80 Display Panel Issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Ensoniq SQ80 Display Panel Issues

Postby tegra » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:21 am

So I picked up a cheap SQ80.

On bootup the display appears intact and works, sort of displaying characters that are randomly related to the menu but are scrambled and shifting all over the screen. The buttons seem to open random menus from what I can tell, but because the screen is scrambling constantly it is hard to make out what the buttons are doing (if anything). Changing patches from the front panel is rarely possible.

I have tested the display board disconnected from the Mainboard and it has the same behavior even in self test mode.

I have checked the power supply and all voltages appear correct. No visual issues with any caps but who knows, I ordered a set of caps to swap whats on the board out just in case (should get them in a day or two).

Sound is 100% working, sounds beautiful, I can switch through the patches via midi everything sounds good so it seems like the KBC/Mainboard are both working great.

Now I am starting to think its the 6500 chip. Anyone have any experience with this issue? Am i screwed? Would the cpu still be able to display some of the correct information if it was fried? It almost seems like some sort of synchronization issue from within the CPU. Could it be related to the 4mhz crystal? I have tried hard resetting already. Let me know if there is anything else I can do.
tegra

Re: Ensoniq SQ80 Display Panel Issues

Postby rhino » Fri Sep 07, 2018 12:21 am

Hi. My guess is the 6500 chip: the originals were VERY static sensitive and the slightest jolt will kill it. Rainer Buchty now makes a kit with a modern MPU to replace the 6500. Guy's a lifesaver.

http://WWW.BUCHTY.NET
click on Ensonic Heaven
click on Ensonic Shoppe

WARNINGS
(1) you will need some soldering/desoldering skills
(2) be careful of the glass display - they ARE near impossible to find.
When the wise man points to the stars, the fool looks at the finger.
- Confucius
rhino
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: keepers:
Kurzweil K2500x
Ensoniq TS-12
Yamaha SY-99
Alesis QS-8
Roland JD-800
Roland JX-10
Akai AX-80