using 2032 batteries instead of a barrel styled battery?

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
part12studios

using 2032 batteries instead of a barrel styled battery?

Post by part12studios » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:26 pm

Hi everyone,

So I got my hands on an old Peavey Addverb that works well, but not surprisingly the battery is bad.. I would like to replace it, but really don't want to put another acid bomb in this thing.. I wondered if i might be able to use alternate batteries?

I know the answer should be yes, but my question is the pins.. these varta batteries have 3 pins.. but my 2032 holders (ones with wires, not direct mount) only have two wires. Could anyone explain which pins i should run the two wires too and what to do with the third pin port..

it's a triangular shape pin configuration.. 2 on one end and 1 on the other..

Thanks!
Caleb

part12studios

Re: using 2032 batteries instead of a barrel styled battery?

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 10, 2018 9:51 am

bump / the other reason I'd like to not do that is because those barrel batteries cost $10-15 a pop and I have 2032 holders and batteries right here.. maybe i can ignore one of the pins or need to split the one end (forget offhand if the two pin side is the positive or negative)..

then again the battery does output 3.6v.. where a 2032 is 3.0 v.. wonder if that is a significant difference with electronics like this.

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Sep 10, 2018 10:58 am

If I understood you correctly, your 3 pin batteries look similar to these?

If yes, just ignore them having three pins since 2 of them are electrically identical. It's just to make them asymmetric => you can't install them the wrong way round.

It depends on the circuit whether using 3 instead of 3.6 V would cause any problems or not.
If the 3.6 V, for instance, is run through a 7833 voltage regulator for providing stable 3.3 V afterwards, a 3 V battery will most likely not work due to insufficient voltage. I doubt that is the case, and probably a 3 V battery will work fine, but just try it. You won't cause any damage by using a 3 V instead of a 3.6 V battery. In the worst case, it simply won't operate, that's all.
Last edited by Weirdofromouterspace on Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:06 am

absolutely right. sorry i should have been more explicit.

ooooo ok.. good to know.. the board is still mounted so i couldn't see under it.. was hoping to not have to remove the board for this since it's a lot of opportunity to do other damage in the process.

ok awesome. yea i think (just from observational experience) that i've seen batteries output less voltage because they are very old) but they memory still was working.

that last point was the big one.. hurting the hardware. a 3v would harm the hardware i'm not risking that :)

I'll just make sure I got my + and my - correct. i have the battery to look at, it's just one of these https://www.ebay.com/itm/282679594109

I will report back once i get the operation done.

Thanks!
Caleb

Weirdofromouterspace
Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:13 am

Ah, hold on! Forget the previous!

That barrel shaped battery is a rechargeable one (sorry, I had overlooked this in the first place), so just replace it with an identical type if its faulty (it's about $10 or even less, but it'll last for a long time). The common batteries are not designed for being recharged and indeed might cause problems.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:26 am

ok i spoke too quickly.. anyone know which side is positive? the 2 pin or 1 pin side? the battery i have is corroded so there is no real clear indication of which side is positive. additionally since the battery is dead i can't determine positive / neg through the flow of voltage.

I THINK the two pin side is positive though because i believe i can make out a + imprinted in the metal behind the welded on plate

Weirdofromouterspace

Post by Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:27 am

part12studios wrote:ok i spoke too quickly.. anyone know which side is positive? the 2 pin or 1 pin side?
From the Ebay offer you linked: "Terminals: 3 Radial Pins - 2 Positive - 1 Negative"

;)

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:29 am

sorry i saw your updates slipped in while i was typing mine.. yep ok that makes sense. totally agreed about rechargeable being a whole other ball of wax. right on, thanks for catching that too because i was about to warm up the soldering gun in a few minutes :) .

part12studios

Post by part12studios » Mon Sep 10, 2018 11:33 am

i just hate how violent an ending these things have.. ugh.. my PolySix back in 1995 was the first experience I had with this back then.. RIP.. of course back then i let the technician convince me the repairs were not worth it.. so young and foolish then..