Minimoog weirdness

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Minimoog weirdness

Postby EmptySet » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:58 am

What might make a Minimoog do this? At beginning of troubleshooting stage.

Watch on youtube.com
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Re: Minimoog weirdness

Postby Broadwave » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:35 am

The contact springs and bus-bars under the keybed need cleaning. The springs may also need re-aligning, but be very careful as they're fragile and it's difficult to find replacements :geek: ;)
Broadwave

Gear: Kronos 2-88, System 8, Ultranova, ARP Odyssey, BroadWAVE ARP 2600EX, BroadWAVE Modular, BroadWAVE Sparta, BroadWAVE Minimoog, and some guitars

Postby elsongs » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:01 am

EmptySet wrote:What might make a Minimoog do this? At beginning of troubleshooting stage.

Watch on youtube.com

If it's an original Model-D, turn it upside down (making sure the top panel and keys rest on a layer of blankets/towels or pillows) and remove the 8 screws on the bottom plate. Lift off bottom plate. You will see the key contact bars. Spray it with a plastic/rubber safe contact cleaner spray (like Deox-It) with a couple passes (using a narrow straw nozzle). You might want to depress the keys to ensure the contact cleaner gets on the contacts. You can do another pass with the cleaner if you want. Then screw back on the bottom plate, flip the Minimoog right-side up and depress all the keys repeatedly. The pitch glitch should be gone now.
elsongs

Postby EmptySet » Tue Oct 16, 2018 9:55 pm

thanks a lot for the suggestions and information. i knew VS folks would know what this was. i'll report back after we get a chance to try this.
EmptySet
VSE Review Contributor
VSE Review Contributor

Gear: MS20, x0xb0x, JV-1080, JX-3P, JX-8P(PG800), Juno Stage, VFX-SD, VL-1, ARP Omni I, D-50, DW6000

Return to HELP!