dX100 against Korg Fm volca wasting money

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

dX100 against Korg Fm volca wasting money

Postby princefan3 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:17 am

HI Guys.....would you say that by now you would be wasting money in buying a DX100 when we have Korg Volca FM now.....
Juan Atkins and Derek May used them I told but they had to use them as nothing else did at that thing or cost as cheap....I'm curious as to what you would think.

Many Thanks.
princefan3

Re: dX100 against Korg Fm volca wasting money

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:05 pm

Apples and oranges.

DX100 has a real keyboard (minikeys), bend and mod wheels, 8 voice polyphony, MIDI in and out (for patch saving).

Volca has 6 operators rather than 4, knobs which send CCs, sequencer and synchs with other Volcas but is only 3 voice polyphonic! No MIDI out so patches cannot be backed up.

How often do you need more than 3 voices when playing? For me, anything less than 6 is useless.

How much do you need the synth to be tiny? You can buy a used DX7 for the same price (or less) as a DX100.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Jabberwalky » Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:53 pm

Programming the dx100 doesn't suck the life out of you, so there's that. Volca keys has the dx7 engine though, and you can used Dexed VST to make patches for it. I think the volca excels at being an FM playback device for live use. Otherwise, it's c**p.
Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Eps16 | An1x | Minikorg700s | Monologue | Maxikorg | Bs2 | Ultranova | Dw8k | Poly61 | Paia9700s | Circuit | PreenFM2
Band: VARIAR

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Thu Nov 08, 2018 1:09 pm

Jabberwalky wrote:Volca keys has the dx7 engine though

I know you meant the right thing and it's just a typo :) - Volca FM, not Volca Keys.

Sorry for smartassing ;).
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Return to HELP!