Ensoniq ASR-10 - One Dead Key

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Ensoniq ASR-10 - One Dead Key

Postby elsongs » Sat Nov 03, 2018 10:23 am

I recently bought an Ensoniq ASR-10 from a pawn shop. Functions fine except for one dead key (the E in the octave above middle C). I removed all the keys, washed them clean (they were full of dust and grime) and cleaned the keyboard contact board with contact spray. No change, that one key still does not work. The problem seems to be limited to the ASR-10's keyboard assembly as the note does respond to MIDI when played from an external keyboard. After cleaning, there is no evidence of corrosion or apparent damage to the traces corresponding to that dead key on the keyboard contact board. Anyone else know what the issue is?

UPDATE: Problem was solved. Took it to local tech who examined it. The visible coil underneath the key was fine, but there's another coil on the other side of the keyboard circuit board that was not making contact with the top coil. He soldered a small wire between them and the key works now. Cost $180 and 1 1/2 weeks turnaround time, which I think was a fair price. If anyone in the Southern California area is looking for a tech for a similar issue, PM me for the contact info.
Last edited by elsongs on Wed Nov 28, 2018 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
elsongs

Re: Ensoniq ASR-10 - One Dead Key

Postby Yekuku » Sun Nov 04, 2018 9:55 am

Good catch ! The ASR-10 is an inspiring instrument !
Does the keyboard calibrate successfully on start up?
there are no contacts, notes and aftertouch are triggered when the metal keyweights approach the inductors that are under each key.
Is the metal keyweight in place?
Sometimes by applying too much aftertouch pressure, the plastic key can cut the path of the inductor coil
Can you confirm that the coil is not cut, by using a continuity tester? It could be a hairline cut on the coil.
It is all about sharing...
Yekuku

Gear: dk'tronics speech synthesizer :P

Return to HELP!