Alesis MMT-8 w/ Roland Song Mode

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
Rumbler101

Alesis MMT-8 w/ Roland Song Mode

Post by Rumbler101 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:02 am

Hey,

This is sort of a follow-up to this thread I made many years ago:
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=76985

If I have the "Song Modes" on the "MMT-8" and Roland devices running at the same time e.g. the "TR-909," how can the two devices interact seamlessly? In my head, the way it's working is, if the 909 is 8 measures in and I want nothing until those 8 measures, how do I make it so that the "MMT-8" will then play a melody at the 9th measure without it sounding out of place or out of sync? Same thing then for when the song progresses onwards and I want different parts to come in and out whilst the "909" is doing the rhythms and also progressing forward.

I'm interested in it because I want to properly structure my songs, and when I need to mixdown/record, the idea is that all I need to do is press "play" and away I go...

Any advice?

Thanks.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Re: Alesis MMT-8 w/ Roland Song Mode

Post by Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:17 am

Blank patterns
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Rumbler101

Post by Rumbler101 » Sun Nov 11, 2018 3:59 am

Z wrote:Blank patterns
Hmm, don't suppose you could give me some extra tips if any of speeding the composition up? Like, a working example, if you don't mind? :).

I knew it'd be you the one to reply :P. You know your stuff.

clubbedtodeath
Expert Member
Expert Member

Post by clubbedtodeath » Sun Nov 11, 2018 7:49 am

If you don’t mind software sequencers, Ableton + a clip launcher/controller (eg. Akai APC Mini) would do a much better job of sequencing an entire song’s worth of patterns on the fly. Much more flexible than the MMT-8. AFAIK the APC Mini (£65 new) comes with a copy of Ableton Lite too.

Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Post by Z » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:48 pm

Rumbler101 wrote:
Z wrote:Blank patterns
Hmm, don't suppose you could give me some extra tips if any of speeding the composition up? Like, a working example, if you don't mind? :).

I knew it'd be you the one to reply :P. You know your stuff.
Just create a pattern that is a measure of nothing, then when creating the song, just put the blank measure/patters where you need them.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear

Rumbler101

Post by Rumbler101 » Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am

Cool, thanks.

I wonder if you can help me out on some timing issues, I'm recording some stuff into the MMT-8 but when I play it back it sounds awful when the 909 is playing in-time. I know there's some quantization options on the sequencer but I was wondering if you could give me some advice on what I may be doing wrong? Perhaps I just need to get better at playing in time?

I'm trying to hear out the 909's bass drum for me to time it but when the sequencer plays back it just doesn't sound right.

Both devices are in "Song Mode" and the MMT-8 is the Master Clock.