Alesis MMT-8 Not Syncing Minimoog Properly

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Alesis MMT-8 Not Syncing Minimoog Properly

Postby Rumbler101 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:47 pm

Hi,

Here's a video for reference:
https://youtu.be/frVycGA7_qI

I'm sure you'll find that the sequence on the Minimoog isn't syncing correctly; especially when the 909 has more sounds coming in.

Any idea why?
Rumbler101

Re: Alesis MMT-8 Not Syncing Minimoog Properly

Postby meatballfulton » Wed Dec 05, 2018 11:47 pm

It would help an awful lot if you could explain how you have everything hooked up.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby Rumbler101 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 1:17 am

MMT-8 is the Master. I have a MIDI keyboard going into the "IN" of the MMT-8 with "MIDI ECHO" turned on so that I can hear what I am playing. The MMT-8's "OUT" is then going to the "IN" of the Prophet 6, from the Prophet 6 is the "THRU" is going into the "IN" of the 909 and then the 909 is then in external tempo mode (SHIFT + TEMPO MODE), from the 909's "OUT" it is then going into the "IN" of the Minimoog.
Rumbler101

Postby Z » Thu Dec 06, 2018 5:14 am

I'm surprised the MiniMoog is being triggered at all since the 909's MIDI OUT shouldn't be transmitting the data from is MIDI IN.

You would certainly benefit from a MIDI Thru box. Not sure that will solve your issue 100%, but it's better than daisy chaining multiple devices.
youtube.com/zibbybone facebook.com/ZsFlippinGear
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: Bubble wrap, Styrofoam, boxes, packing tape

Postby Rumbler101 » Thu Dec 06, 2018 9:55 am

Pretty sure the Minimoog is being triggered from the “OUT” of the 909. I’ll double check.

How would I integrate a THRU BOX in this kind of setup?

Thanks.
Rumbler101

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:11 pm

Rumbler101 wrote:How would I integrate a THRU BOX in this kind of setup?

MIDI OUT of your master/MIDI source goes into the MIDI IN of the Thru Box. The MIDI OUTs of the Box go to the MIDI INs of your other equipment (slaves). Done.

A Kenton MIDI Thru 5 (for instance, I have and use two of those so i have some experience with them) is well suited for your requirements, and it's not too expensive.

That's the basic setup. However, I don't quite get what you mean by running your keyboard into the sequencer for hearing anything?! Don't you use a sound system with mixer, amp and speakers (or at least headphones with a mixer)?
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Postby gmeredith » Sat Dec 08, 2018 1:04 am

By monitoring he means being able play the minimoog using the keyboard going THROUGH the mmt8 and then to the minimoog. The mmt8 allows this because it has a midi merge facility (MIDI ECHO button) that combines its MIDI input jack with it's MIDI output jack as well as sending it to the MIDI thru port. That way you can record notes on the MMT8 at the same time as hearing any module/synth on its MIDI out port being played by the input keyboard, and also overdub in the same way. Saves a lot of MIDI cable juggling.
Casio: FZ1, CZ101, PG380, VZ10M, SK8, SK60, RAP10, DP1 drums, DH100, CDP200, DM100
Yamaha: TX81z, TX802, SHS10, DTXv2
Roland: SH101, DR660, MS1, PM16, TR33
Others: Korg MicroKontrol, ES-1, Alesis MMT8, Emu ESi2000 & card reader, BCR2000, V-Machine
gmeredith

Band: Warning Will Robinson

Postby Rumbler101 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 2:44 am

^ what he said.

Also yeah, Z, the Minimoog is being sequenced from the "OUT" of the 909. So it seems it acts as a "THRU" too.
Rumbler101

Postby madtheory » Sat Dec 08, 2018 6:28 pm

The TR-909 seems to have a few bugs/ quirks with how it uses the MIDI outputs. See second post on this thread, sounds like it might be the problem you're having? Seeing as it happens when the 909 has more sounds coming in?
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/electro ... -thru.html

PS ignore the rest of that thread, it's mostly total bunkum. Typical Gearslutz :(
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby Z » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:37 am

Rumbler101 wrote:Also yeah, Z, the Minimoog is being sequenced from the "OUT" of the 909. So it seems it acts as a "THRU" too.

So you're using the 909's External Instrument mode to play the MiniMoog and not the MMT-8?
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby Rumbler101 » Sun Dec 09, 2018 2:18 pm

Z wrote:
Rumbler101 wrote:Also yeah, Z, the Minimoog is being sequenced from the "OUT" of the 909. So it seems it acts as a "THRU" too.

So you're using the 909's External Instrument mode to play the MiniMoog and not the MMT-8?

Nope. I'm using the MMT-8 in this case. I'm daisychaining from the 909's "OUT" to the "IN" of the Minimoog. It's literally acting as a "THRU," but as madtheory is saying, that may be the issue.

@madtheory: Definitely seems probable. I have bought a "THRU Box" now so I will hopefully be back tomorrow or the day after when it arrives in the post. Oh yeah, Gearslutz is pretty awful, I had a real bad experience there last year, it seems they would rather stroke their ego than help people out. The guys here are way better and much more patient. Never had a bad experience here to be honest.
Rumbler101

Postby madtheory » Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:23 pm

Rumbler101 wrote:Oh yeah, Gearslutz is pretty awful, I had a real bad experience there last year, it seems they would rather stroke their ego than help people out. The guys here are way better and much more patient. Never had a bad experience here to be honest.

Hurrah!
Last edited by madtheory on Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.

Postby Z » Tue Dec 11, 2018 6:48 pm

madtheory wrote:
Rumbler101 wrote:
Z wrote:Oh yeah, Gearslutz is pretty awful, I had a real bad experience there last year, it seems they would rather stroke their ego than help people out. The guys here are way better and much more patient. Never had a bad experience here to be honest.

Hurrah!

Just to be clear, that isn't my quote. I've never been to GearSluts and never will. I heard the horror stories a long time ago.
Z
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Postby madtheory » Tue Dec 11, 2018 7:21 pm

Z wrote:Just to be clear, that isn't my quote. I've never been to GearSluts and never will. I heard the horror stories a long time ago.

Woops, my bad. I'll fix it now.

I wouldn't completely avoid it. The artist/ engineer Q+A sessions are usually awesome. For example, I didn't find out Paul Hartnoll from Orbital did a Q+A last year, until a few days ago. But other than that, ya I agree, it's horrible. Even some of the actual professional engineers that post regularly on there, are horrible. A notable exception in my opinion is "Evil Dragon" I forget his real name but he's the Kontakt scripting genius. Very cool and helpful guy. acreil is another, I think he posts here sometimes?
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Postby Rumbler101 » Tue Dec 11, 2018 11:26 pm

madtheory wrote:
Z wrote:Just to be clear, that isn't my quote. I've never been to GearSluts and never will. I heard the horror stories a long time ago.

Woops, my bad. I'll fix it now.

I wouldn't completely avoid it. The artist/ engineer Q+A sessions are usually awesome. For example, I didn't find out Paul Hartnoll from Orbital did a Q+A last year, until a few days ago. But other than that, ya I agree, it's horrible. Even some of the actual professional engineers that post regularly on there, are horrible. A notable exception in my opinion is "Evil Dragon" I forget his real name but he's the Kontakt scripting genius. Very cool and helpful guy. acreil is another, I think he posts here sometimes?

Oh yeah, there's some quality content on that site -- I would be a liar if I said I didn't use it very much!

It's just most of the community I've found have egos that are pretty bloody palpable. I just can't be on there actively participating as it comes off as smartarse arrogance. I've met some good guys on there but they are far and few between; shame really, great site otherwise.

No "THRU" box still; I'll be back at some point about the results. Thanks.
Rumbler101

Next

Return to HELP!