Juno 106 MIDI In Problem

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Juno 106 MIDI In Problem

Postby iviondayjr » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:03 pm

Hello synth friends!

Proud new owner of a Juno 106 and love this thing!

One problem I've noticed is that I cannot get the synth to produce sound via the MIDI In port. I have a MIDI interface connected to my computer via USB (M Audio Uno MIDISPORT). Using Reason as my DAW I can draw in some notes and chords and send the MIDI info back to the synth. Yet, no sound is produced?! I have 1/4 " s output connected to a PA.

Also note that my Juno 106 works great as a MIDI Controller. I am able to record my playing into my DAW no prob.

To double check that it was not a MIDI interface problem I connected the MIDI In to my Microbrute and this plays the notes just fine from my DAW.

Anyone have experience with this problem? Why would the MIDI Out on the Juno work just fine and not the MIDI In? Should I look to have the entire MIDI module replaced on the Juno? Should I open up the Juno and take a look? (Pretty nervous about this option, I dont trust myself that much).

Yes I have the correct MIDI channels assigned and the MIDI function switch is set to III on the back of the Juno.

Any advice greatly appreciated!
iviondayjr

Re: Juno 106 MIDI In Problem

Postby Mooger5 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:23 pm

Connect a MIDI IN device to the MIDI Thru of the 106 and send some data. Does it get through? Probably not...
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Re: Juno 106 MIDI In Problem

Postby Mooger5 » Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:10 pm

Rambling removed.
In short, the MIDI Thru is in series with the MIDI In.
If the MIDI In isn´t working but the MIDI Thru is, it means the MIDI circuitry is fine, but the data is just not reaching the CPU.
If both ports don´t work, the culprit is most probably a bad optocoupler.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to HELP!