Access Virus B, acting strange, help needed!

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Access Virus B, acting strange, help needed!

Postby RichyvirusB » Wed Dec 19, 2018 12:08 pm

Hi all, thought I'd join up and find some help as I'm now at a loss with my beloved Virus B desktop.

From the video you can see once clicking single mode and then using parameter or value switches to flick though the patches is taking me to LFO 2 section anmd sometimes ossilator section?

1st I tried to reinstall OS but no different so deffinately hardware issue.
I have managed to replace and solder 7 new switches thinking this would solve my problems but alas the problem is still here.

Switches I replaced are-------- 2 x value, 2 x parameter, multi and single, and LFO 2 amount.

I have 3 more switches left, but Im starting to think the old worn switches are not my problem.

I have also tried a newer power supply that came with my novation circuit, but this makes no difference also.

I wonder could someone point me in the right direction, as thats as far as my electronic knowledge know just soldering new switches on.

I have also tried cleaning board from dust a bit.

After I changed the parameter switches it worked perfectly for half a day then problem returned. So it does seem intermittent. But is doing the error all the time now ;(

Its extremly frustrating as I know its probably one component causing this! as everything else works perfectly, as I cannot getinto the ctrl and edit menus its now a house brick!

Thanks Richy

video of strange behaviour<,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CaxLiq4 ... e=youtu.be
RichyvirusB

Re: Access Virus B, acting strange, help needed!

Postby Jakobz » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:24 pm

I have seen couple of Virus B acting strange, not exacly what you describe so it might not be relevant. But replacing the electrolytic capacitors in the psu section helped me get rid of all sorts of weird issues on Virus B.
Jakobz

Postby RichyvirusB » Thu Dec 20, 2018 6:06 am

HI Jakobz, thanks for the tip, tha'st the conclusion I came to, and have some caps on order, 100uf 25v seem to be the suspect ones. But as you say my symptoms are slightly different, so I guess could be dry joint of anything!
RichyvirusB

Postby RichyvirusB » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:49 am

Well I changed one of the "bad caps 100uf 25v" but I'm no better off, but at least it still boots up and my solder was successful!, sure this problem isnt cap related.I think!

I'm too scared to solder 23 more caps on and find it wasn't the problem after all, looks like its going in the back of the cupboard for the rest of its life :(
RichyvirusB

Postby Mooger5 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:41 pm

Sorry to hear that. Please post detailed pictures of the open unit and of all PCBs, both component and solder sides. Best resolution you can get. I´m no professional and never used a Virus before, but maybe I or someone experienced can help.
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Return to HELP!