ARP Odyssey click/pop noise

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

ARP Odyssey click/pop noise

Postby Joens » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:47 pm

I have a problem with my odyssey mk2 2812. When depressing a key it makes a noticeable click/pop noise. It’s pretty subtle when playing with the filter open but whey doing more smooth sounds it’s very audible. Raising the attack in adsr does help but I have to raise it very high to get rid of it. The noise is still present when turning both VCA sliders down. I’m thinking this isn’t normal? I saw this thread, and it seems like a similar problem: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37658

I have recapped all boards and the psu, put in new ics and properly cleaned all sliders. Can someone with a vintage oddy try this and see if it’s the same?

Thanks
Joens

Re: ARP Odyssey click/pop noise

Postby Mooger5 » Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:35 pm

Joens wrote:I have a problem with my odyssey mk2 2812. When depressing a key it makes a noticeable click/pop noise. It’s pretty subtle when playing with the filter open but whey doing more smooth sounds it’s very audible. Raising the attack in adsr does help but I have to raise it very high to get rid of it. The noise is still present when turning both VCA sliders down. I’m thinking this isn’t normal? I saw this thread, and it seems like a similar problem: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37658

I have recapped all boards and the psu, put in new ics and properly cleaned all sliders. Can someone with a vintage oddy try this and see if it’s the same?

Thanks

Sounds like the VCA bias not calibrated. Isn´t there a trimpot for this?
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Joens » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:15 pm

I have calibrated the whole synth also .. didn’t help with the vca gain trimpot
Joens

Postby Mooger5 » Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:09 am

It´s the bias, not the the gain. It´s the trimpot labeled T2, if I´m looking at the right schematic...
Generally the VCOs level turned all the way off, LPF fully open and the VCA set to maximum. The trimpot then adjusted for lowest "thump"...
Herrare umanum est.
Mooger5
Expert Member
Expert Member

Postby Joens » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:21 pm

Turning the vca cvr trimpot helps to get rid of some low end “thump” indeed.
Joens

Return to HELP!