Can you hook up a modular systems to a D-50

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Can you hook up a modular systems to a D-50

Postby ILOOMIMATE » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:24 am

I'm new to synths and sorry if this is a stupid question but can you hook up modular stuff like VCO'S, Oscillators, VCA's, etc.
ILOOMIMATE

Re: Can you hook up a modular systems to a D-50

Postby madtheory » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:38 am

You can if you have a MIDI to CV converter module. Doepfer make an inexpensive one, and IIRC Kenton just updated the Pro Solo with a Euro Rack version. That would be a much better option.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Postby The LT » Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:40 pm

Using the D-50 as a MIDI controller is kind of pointless and wasteful, TBH. There are much better alternatives.
Like the Waldorf KB37. I'd leave the D-50 to what it does best. 80s/90s sounds. :)
The LT

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:50 pm

If your question is whether the modules can be used to work together with the internal synth engine of the D-50, no, not at all.

You can use the D-50 with a MIDI/CV converter to act as a keyboard for a modular, as mentioned above.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Postby pflosi » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:47 pm

meatballfulton wrote:If your question is whether the modules can be used to work together with the internal synth engine of the D-50, no, not at all.

The D50 MIDI implementation is somewhat basic, but theoretically you could control a handful of parameters from a modular with a CV-to-MIDI converter :mrgreen:

Cheers :drinks:
pflosi
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer

Gear: more than 150 characters...

Return to HELP!