Need advice on sampler purchase

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
mummia20

Need advice on sampler purchase

Post by mummia20 » Thu Jan 24, 2019 5:04 am

i play in a band and
Im interested in getting a sampler
so i can run clips of sound from like movies
and other things
im looking to spend between 1-400$

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: When Violets Turn Grey

Re: Need advice on sampler purchase

Post by Hyde » Thu Jan 24, 2019 10:36 pm

I'd look for something with at least 32mb of storage. That way you can lay a bunch of samples across the keyboard & not have to worry too much about memory. YOu'll also want the ability to hook up a decent hard drive, for storage. Facebook has both Akai & E-mu sampler groups...for more info.
On the low end you can pick up an AKAI S2000 with maxed out memory for under $100, usually. It comes with a scsi port for external Hard Drive. The E-mu ESI2000 can be naked to 64mb & has a scsi port. It's pretty tough to find either of these with the output & effects boards but, for what you ware wanting, you likely will not need them.
E-mu released a ESI4000 that could be had with a ZIP Drive. That would be like the ESI2000 with a few more bells & whistles.
All of these can be found pretty reasonably, but take some patience in learning how they operate. There were a lot of samplers released from both companies, after these but, price generally goes up with popularity.
I really think Ensoniq samplers are the best sounding, most useful samplers made. However, the Mighty ASR10 only has a "possibility" of 16mb of storage. By the time you get to a machine with upgraded with 16mb & SCSI, your price range would be completely blown out of the water. My Preference would be Akai. Built like tanks & they like HardDrives of many types. You'll need a controller keyboard but, they are cheap on Craigslist etc...
Makin' Noises