Yamaha MU50 Battery Replacement

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Yamaha MU50 Battery Replacement

Postby Los974 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:20 pm

Hi everyone,
today my good ol' Yamaha MU-50 displayed a "battery low!" message on start up which seems rather normal as it is 24 years old :D

Therefore I would like to have it replaced. The trouble is that I can not find any info about the process to perform the replacement. Regarding this issue, the manual just shows "Bring the unit to your local Yamaha dealer or any other authorized Yamaha service personnel.". This is not possible for me, we don't have a Yamaha center anymore where I live, the small but beautiful Reunion Island in the Indian Ocean.

I am quite frightened to operate without any information as I read many bad issues (synth not booting after service, factory data lost, etc.) for other devices. In the meanwhile I could not find any specific procedure for MU50. I also tried to find information for MU80, the enhanced version of MU50, but found nothing. Any advice?

Best Regards,

Los
Los974

Re: Yamaha MU50 Battery Replacement

Postby Kentronix » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:00 pm

Not sure if this will be of any help but I have upped the service manual and schematic for the mu80 for you here :-

https://serial-number-decoder.co.uk/temp/

I couldn't find the procedure in there, as you mentioned this also says to leave it to qualified personnel but it does give you a list of 'donts' and the parts list tells you it should be a CR2450, which suggests its removable and easily replaceable but you wont know for sure until you open it and have a look. It has the disassembly procedure too and how to reset to factory settings if things go wrong :)

Hope its of use, if so save them as they wont stay up forever.
Find the date of your vintage Roland gear
Kentronix

Gear: ABL3. Waldorf Rocket, MicroBrute, Volca Bass x 2, Volca Keys, Volca Beats, Rhythm wolf, Boss DR-550, Korg Delta, Yamaha DX-11, Roland D110, Reaper DAW

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Jan 28, 2019 4:21 pm

Replacing a battery is usually not such a big deal.

First save/store all data you still require from your MU50.
Desolder the battery, solder in a battery holder (make sure to connect it in the correct polarity), and insert the new battery.
Upload the data you stored before, and/or do a factory reset according to the service manual.

That should be it.

Make sure to use appropriate ESD protection when opening the module (no big deal, wristband and possibly a mat will do). You don't want any sensitive parts being destroyed by ESD.

If in doubt, ask someone who's experienced with that kind of service - but again, replacing a battery and, if applicable, installing a battery holder is really not such a big deal.
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Postby Los974 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:50 am

Dear Kentronix and Weirdofromouterspace,
thanks a lot for your precious advices! I will try to open the device soon to see if it matches the documents shared by Kentronix.

Currently, I am hesitating a bit to proceed as I am not used to deal with electronics and I don't have any valuable data inside MU50 (factory settings and I use controllers and sysex to customize them). Therefore sometimes I tell myself that I could just use the device as it is, even if it performs a reset and display a low battery message on start. This may be less risky, isn't it? :lol:

Nevertheless, I will post here updates as soon as I get some.

Have a wonderful day,

Los
Los974

Postby Los974 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:16 am

Hi,
something quite unexpected happened: the alert message doesn't show on start anymore.

The unit hadn't been turned on for a long time but these days, it is powered many hours per week. I don't know what to do: the battery should be replaced given its age, but I fear to "brick" the device by doing something inappropriate.

Regards,

Los
Los974

Postby Weirdofromouterspace » Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:24 am

Los974 wrote:The unit hadn't been turned on for a long time but these days, it is powered many hours per week. I don't know what to do: the battery should be replaced given its age, but I fear to "brick" the device by doing something inappropriate.

I wouldn't put too much trust in this. I suggest saving/storing all required data, then use the unit as usual, and be ready to do the battery change when it stops operating properly. Just be ready when it's required. It will come sooner or later ;).
Don't forget to TURN ON THE SYNTHESIZER. Often this is the reason why you get no sound out of it. - ARP 2600 manual, 1971
Weirdofromouterspace

Gear: MFOS SLMS+ & Ultimate, TTSH, DX7IID, DX21, Minibrute, Poly-800, microKORG, microSAMPLER, Volca Beats & Bass, JX-03, Tr-8, Kawai K1, Jasper

Return to HELP!