akai mpc5000 error

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

akai mpc5000 error

Postby mm1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:31 pm

bought an mpc5000 recently & when I first turned it on I was greeted with an error message reading "audio sync error" there isn't much online on how to troubleshoot this problem, also qlink 10 doesn't seem to turn past 3 o'clock when it's supposed to go further.
mm1

Re: akai mpc5000 error

Postby Rasputin » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:44 pm

I'm not an MPC5000 expert, nor even an owner, so I'm going out on a limb a bit with this, but..

My understanding is that the MPC5000 is essentially a variant of the Alesis Fusion, and I do know that the Fusion CPU talks to various sub-systems (with FPGA chips) over serial communication lines.

Therefore, my hunch is that "audio sync failed" happens when a serial comm line fails between the mainboard and an audio processing daughtercard. As such, I would recommend taking apart the MPC5K and reseating and cleaning (if possible) all ribbon cables and other connectors between the mainboard and other cards, especially any which have a FPGA on them.

The service manual for the Akai MPC5000 is available, but it is not a troubleshooting guide. It's almost entirely schematics, but it does provide a "tear down" guide which may be useful to you.
Rasputin

Postby mm1 » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 am

right, so I went under the hood & cleaned everything out like you said, still got the error message. also turns out the qlink is soldered directly to the board & has nothing for me to change adjust the position on it
mm1

Postby Rasputin » Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:24 pm

mm1 wrote:right, so I went under the hood & cleaned everything out like you said, still got the error message. also turns out the qlink is soldered directly to the board & has nothing for me to change adjust the position on it

Hope you only paid an "AS IS" price for it, or can get a refund.

I think you've inherited a parts machine.
Rasputin

Return to HELP!