JP-8000 Strange Behavior (Or perhaps just me)

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

JP-8000 Strange Behavior (Or perhaps just me)

Post by DLovas » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:41 pm

Hey everyone - it's been quite a while since I've had the time to fire up all of the gear and mess around. It's been quite the year with work and everything that I'm hoping to dedicate more time to music again. Finally got my JV-1080 fully expanded with 4 cards (Vocal, Techno, Orchestral 1, and World), also picked up 3 Roland S-760 samplers (All with the OP1 board and 32MB of memory) and the full Roland CD-ROM Sample library, as well as a D-550 and a Waldorf Pulse Plus.

Dusting off the JP-8000, I sat with it for a few hours yesterday evening - playing with some old patches/performances I had programmed several years ago - everything was working great - I had turned the arpeggiator on for the lower patch, and had it going with a simple pattern, and was playing on the right side with the upper patch.

A while later - I went to continue on and do the same thing, though now it seems that the keyboard is stuck in some strange Split/Dual mode where the upper patch is not constrained to above the split point (e.g. The lower half of the keyboard plays both the upper and lower patches, while the upper half only plays the upper patch) - additionally, the arpeggator is triggering both the upper and lower patches despite the settings menu displaying "Lower Only". This even seemed to be the case with the default "Chariots" performance, even after toggling the power switch.

I can't for the life of me figure this out - I've looked through the manual briefly though it seems this is something that should be fixed by the split point/arpeggiator settings, neither of which seems to be the case.

One peculiarity I've noticed is that it seems that this only happens when I select certain patches, though I'd still like to get to the bottom of the issue (Surely I must be doing something wrong)

Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Re: JP-8000 Strange Behavior (Or perhaps just me)

Post by Zamise » Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:41 pm

Try factory reset? Have latest firmware on it? JP-8000 had ghost edit issues with overly touchy controls that a firmware update I thought was supposed to help and stop all kinds of strange issues. There is a thread around here with more JP-8000 firmware update info. if you haven't seen yet. I don't know that much else about it.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]

DLovas
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!
Gear: Roland JP-8000
Roland JV-1080
Roland D-550
Roland S-760 (3x)
Waldorf Pulse+
u-he Zebra2

Re: JP-8000 Strange Behavior (Or perhaps just me)

Post by DLovas » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:12 am

Zamise wrote:Try factory reset? Have latest firmware on it? JP-8000 had ghost edit issues with overly touchy controls that a firmware update I thought was supposed to help and stop all kinds of strange issues. There is a thread around here with more JP-8000 firmware update info. if you haven't seen yet. I don't know that much else about it.
Hey - thanks for the response

Turns out I was completely at fault this time - I had both Midi cables plugged in and the Daw open, so when I was playing the synth, it was sending MIDI instructions to itself on channel 1, which explains why the arpeggiator was controlling both parts despite the onboard setting.

:lol: