Crumar Performer - dead key and full sustain issues

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
therealrx

Crumar Performer - dead key and full sustain issues

Post by therealrx » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:06 pm

Hey folks. Am trying to resuscitate a Crumar Performer and have run into a few issues. When I first tested it, everything worked except for Middle C, but all of the sliders / potentiometers were sticky / crackly etc. So, one by one, I desoldered the sliders and cleaned them with Deoxit F5, then sprayed with Deoxit F100, and then re-soldered.

When I tested it again, it seemed like all of the sliders had cleaned up nicely, but there was full sustain on the Strings, regardless of the position of the slider, and maybe the response of the Volume of the string section wasn't quite as smooth as it should have been despite the slider moving properly. On closer inspection of the Sustain slider, I noticed that solder had actually dripped into the slider itself when I was re-attaching to the board - I made a real mess of it while trying to get enough solder to cover some of those bigger wholes, and possibly, I've inadvertently joined solder points on both, the Sustain and Volume paths (not to each other, but possibly to other points on the same respective paths), am wondering if this is the cause of my full sustain issue, as well as the volume issue. Does anyone have a picture of the String board so I can see if my solder points look the same?

Meanwhile, the full sustain issue seems to be affecting the Brass section as well. Is this a function of the bad String section Sustain? What happens is, if I play a key and release, when I hit another key, the original note sounds along with the new key, and this repeats for each successive key / note added, until any given note would decay as if sustain were set to full.

Somewhat interestingly, at least to me, is that when I press on the otherwise dead Middle C, whatever notes I had pressed previously and quickly released (as in not holding long enough for them to sustain and decay as described above), will sound when Middle C is held down. Am I right in thinking that the problem with Middle C is not the contact? I opened up the keyboard and the key mechanism appears to be functioning properly, same as all of the other keys - I sprayed the key contact with Deoxit F5 - but again, since it's triggering the previously hit (yet not decayed) notes, I'm guessing the contact isn't the issue?

As you've likely surmised, I have no idea what the h**l I'm doing, so any advice, in novice terms, would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

therealrx

Re: Crumar Performer - dead key and full sustain issues

Post by therealrx » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:23 pm

Update... on closer inspection, it turns out that the wire that is supposed to be soldered to the orange bar (running from left to right underneath the keys in this image) for Middle C was disconnected from the solder. So that will hopefully resolve the Middle C issue.

http://www.mensuhell.ciboire.com/sound/crumar-03.jpg

Back to the full sustain...