Roland MC-500 files - record to Windows OS for Archiving

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Roland MC-500 files - record to Windows OS for Archiving

Postby Mark Luce » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:59 am

Hi Vintage Synth Explorer Forum,
I am in need of a Windows 10 MIDI record software (free) in order to transfer in real time, music
created on my 33 year old Roland MC-500 for the sake of archiving music files in case the
MC-500 dies some day - at least I will have all files saved in a MIDI format to use again.
Be aware that I know what I am doing in all things MIDI and IT. For many years I have been
using an old (mid 90s) version of Cakewalk on my XP SP3 desktop (I have several computers
with various versions of Windows), this works fine, however the Cakewalk save format only
allows 8 characters without spaces - this is a major problem for correct archiving - the MC-500
has a 13 character song title capability and I want/need to have the ability to name all of
my archived MC-500 created files to match exactly the title that is displayed in the MC-500
song title display. My old version of Cakewalk has the ability to record into Cakewalk from
an external MIDI sequencer by simply using the MIDI clock on Cakewalk when recording and the
MC-500 needs to have the MIDI#10 Send Clock set to "on", and the MIDI filter channels on Cakewalk
has to be set to "Fill" so that all MIDI channels on the MC-500 song file will be correctly routed
to the correct MIDI channel in Cakewalk. I simply need MIDI software for the Windows 10 OS - I
am not interested using the software for creating music - I am very used to and satisfied/happy
with using the MC-500 for all my MIDI creations, I never used Cakewalk for any purpose other
than for archiving my MC-500 files. FYI - I bought my MC-500 when it first came on the market
in 1986, and it is operating perfectly fine - once every few months I use a cleaning diskette
in the floppy drive. FYI - my interface is an ESI MidiMate. Another FYI - me and two friends
manufactured (actually made by hand) the Lync Systems LN-4 and its predecessors from the mid 80s
to 93.
Thank you,
Mark
Mark Luce

Re: Roland MC-500 files - record to Windows OS for Archiving

Postby Zamise » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:37 am

http://www.vintagesynth.com/articles/five-free-daws-windows-mac

I also like and use Magix Music Maker, kind of recently became a free version too:

https://www.magix.com/us/music/music-maker/

Also, if it is just the file name length then just copy the file over to a newer computer, if you can find a way (it may be a bigger or another problem then resaving from the MC via midi), the new computer should be able to easily just rename to longer file names.
<ZQS> [....<OII>.....soundcloud player v2.42.....................link]
Zamise
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Rollhand P00
Band: Quantum-Source

Postby Mark Luce » Thu Feb 28, 2019 1:47 am

Dear Zamise,
Thank you very much for your very helpful info; I will check the links out in the next days (probably on Saturday) - I am in Central Europe and it is late now (1:30 AM) and I can barely keep my eyes open. I will get back to you on my progress and choice.
The Roland MC-500 is a stand-alone MIDI Composer, it's OS is loaded from a Floppy Disk each time it is turned on, and all music compositions are stored on an MC-500 Formatted Floppy disk - this is 1986 technology; I want to play my song files in real time from the MC-500 MIDI out into music software app on my Windows 10 laptop via my ESI MidiMate interface, and store it.
Thank you and Kind regards,
Mark
Mark Luce

Postby meatballfulton » Thu Feb 28, 2019 2:23 pm

Info here about creating MRC format floppies readable by a PC. If you can get a hold of a USB floppy drive, you could copy disks straight to your hard drive. Also has information about converting to Standard MIDI Files. Worth taking a look.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.
meatballfulton

Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Return to HELP!