Casio CZ-3000 has several keys playing two notes at once

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.

Casio CZ-3000 has several keys playing two notes at once

Postby idcaboutspirits » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:45 pm

Hi,

I purchased an old Casio CZ-3000 synth about half a year ago, and it's become my favorite piece of gear. Recently, a few of the keys started playing two notes at once, and always the next note up (i.e., if I hit an A, it plays a B flat at the same time.) At first, it was only one key that did this (as well as the octaves of that key,) but now it's up to four keys and their respective octaves that do it.

In doing some research, it seems like a failing relay is a common problem for the CZ series, and this can cause similar issues. It's also worth noting that I do get some crackling if I have the Chorus up to full, which is a common side effect of the relay failure. I do still have the issue with the notes when the Chorus is all the way down, too.

First of all, has anyone had this same issue? And if so, what ended up fixing it?

Additionally, if this DOES sound like a relay problem, does anyone have a recommendation for where to find this part?

Thanks for any help you can provide me! I'd like to avoid getting a new one, and I feel like this is probably an issue that can be fixed relatively easily.
idcaboutspirits

Re: Casio CZ-3000 has several keys playing two notes at once

Postby madtheory » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:48 pm

A relay usually fails because of dust. So spray some air into it.

But it won't cause the problem you're having with the keyboard, because it's on the audio output- which you will see if you check the service manual.

The crackling chorus is much more likely to be dust/ dirt as well. Over time it will gather at either end of the slider. Try blowing air in there as well, you might be lucky. But it's probably gummed in there with old slider lube. So the best option at this stage is to see if you can prise open the slider for cleaning, without breaking it in the process.

Here's an alternative- I had similar issues with a Casio CZ-1. So I left it up on a stand and only played it via MIDI with a weighted keyboard (way better) and didn't touch the onboard chorus as I had plugins that were much better sounding.
madtheory
Supporting Member!
Supporting Member!

Gear: Flangebeast Mk1, Plonkotron, Morovdis Arpeggiator, Maplin My First EQ, Cabaret Voltaire, Jeff Wayne Thunderchild rack, thermostat, Buck Owens Moog.
Band: Minim

Re: Casio CZ-3000 has several keys playing two notes at once

Postby idcaboutspirits » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:30 am

Thanks! I will give this a try. By the way, did you mean you were having a similar problem with the keys playing two notes at a time on your CZ-1, or just the crackling issue?
idcaboutspirits

Return to HELP!