Ensoniq EPS "disc not formatted" error

Pulling out your hair? Don't know what to do or where to go? Ask in here.
Forum rules
READ: VSE Board-Wide Rules and Guidelines

If your Help request has been solved, please edit your first post in order to select the Image Topic Icon to let others know your topic has been solved.
merovie

Ensoniq EPS "disc not formatted" error

Post by merovie » Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:34 pm

Even when there is no disc in it. I figured this out after putting in all four copies of my OS disc in the thing and then getting the bright idea to turn it on without anything in it. Same error message. No "insert disc" message. I was thinking of buying one of those expensive USB drives and copy my sounds and songs to it, but I rarely use the sounds, except to write the basics of songs and and then send the midi outs to Cubase. But if I can't get the OS to load then it's a moot point.

I am guessing I need to replace the drive. I've tried spraying compressed air into it. It worked fine two days ago

(I always wondered why that one piece of software info wasn't just hardwired into the sequencer.)

Rasputin

Re: Ensoniq EPS "disc not formatted" error

Post by Rasputin » Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:10 pm

merovie wrote:(I always wondered why that one piece of software info wasn't just hardwired into the sequencer.)
Because the floppy drive was already needed so that users could save samples. Having additional ROM storage would have driven up the price of the sampler. Also, further OS revisions would then require a ROM swap rather than just a new floppy disk.

True, it's no fun if you lose the OS disk or have a floppy drive failure, but if you paid a few grand for the thing when it came out, you wouldn't be particularly careless with those disks, and floppy drive failure would be a game-stopper anyway because you'd lose the ability to load/save projects.

In other words, the floppy drive was designed to be an essential hardware component regardless of OS.

As far as solving your problem:

Get the cheapest $15-$20 Gotek you can find and install FlashFloppy firmware onto it. Problem solved, and you don't even have to view it as a sunk repair cost, but rather an upgrade -- virtually unlimited "floppys", better reliability, can't misplace the "disks", and it is easier to access bank data on modern computers.

Hyde
Gear: Ensoniq Mirage-EPS-EPS16-ASR10
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000
Band: Pindrive

Post by Hyde » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:30 am

I've posted this in multiple places. I've revived a floppy in my Mirage by removing some hair from the spinning arbor in the drive. It gave similar symptoms. It would begin to spin up then, stop. I pulled the drive, reset any connections i could & looked inside to find minimal amounts of hair & dust around the arbor. Removing that did the trick. Been working great for a couple years now.
Makin' Noises

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Sat Mar 23, 2019 4:40 pm

Maybe I miss the issue. I run my EPS16+ from floppy 99% of the time even having scsi, it serves my needs. Over time I've learnt to use one of those floppy disk head cleaner things, looks like a floppy, drip some alcohol on it, insert.. .whirrr whirrr.. job done.

I also closely inspect the magnetc surface of the floppy to be inserted, it needs to be very clean (no mould), I also look to gauge it's density (not bytes) I notice some disk seems to have thinner mag material. My refeernce are the official Ensoniq floppies. When I got this sorted my floppy service works perfectly.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:04 pm

EPS16 & before had pretty limited onboard memory. Depending on your use, Floppy drive can suffice. If you are using it heavily & constantly changing files between songs, SCSI is much faster loading & much easier for loading & setting up banks.
Makin' Noises

merovie

Post by merovie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:36 am

So I finally got around to installing a new floppy drive and it now says "please insert disc" but then says "disc not formatted." The sender was even nice enough to include an 2.49 version of the OS with it (the one I use) and it didn't work nor did any of my other OD discs. :(

merovie

Post by merovie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:45 am

And I need my old sequences, not just sounds. I have over 100 songs I need to rework with cubase

merovie

Post by merovie » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:09 am

Ok. That's just weird. I decided to put the old drive back in, you know, just to see. Now it's acting like nothing ever happened. It's working fine and acting just fine, as if it doesn't know the torturous thing it did to me.

Reminds me of some girlfriends I've had. And that I stayed with after, because, I REALLY REALLY loved them.

Like I love my rackmount Ensoniq EPS.

meatballfulton
Gear: Live 9, Logic Pro X

Post by meatballfulton » Fri Jul 26, 2019 3:08 pm

Late to the party, but the reason the OS had to be loaded from the disk was that all computers of that era did.

Even today, a computer OS is loaded from disk but because of hard drives it's no longer a manual process. The only thing in ROM is the BIOS, which is a very basic OS used only to load the real OS.
I listened to Hatfield and the North at Rainbow. They were very wonderful and they made my heart a prisoner.

Jabberwalky
Synth Explorer
Synth Explorer
Gear: A hybrid of vintage and modern junk
Band: Variar

Post by Jabberwalky » Sat Jul 27, 2019 5:33 am

I think it could be a faulty floppy drive cable that's causing your problems. My EPS16+ had a bad floppy cable, and acted weird and intermittent, and then randomly worked when I messed with it. Ultimately, it would go back to weird errors. I ended up replacing the ribbon cable and it's been fine.

Hyde
Ensoniq SQ1-SQ1+
Akai S2000
E-MU ESI2000

Post by Hyde » Sun Jul 28, 2019 3:35 pm

Yeah, I'll second the ribbon cable. Since you pulled the drive, replaced it, then put the old one back. It's likely the cable is bad or the contact points needed to be cleaned. Great that it's working! Such a great sampler
Makin' Noises

merovie

Post by merovie » Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:28 pm

I am still interested in the gotek but I'd like to know how to transfer my old sequences and songs and sounds from floppy to the USB. Eventually this seems like the smartest move. From what I have gathered in the forums, you can get sound libraries for the EPS to put on a USB stick, but I haven't seen anything about transferring my song library to one. I mean, once the floppy drive is out, it's out. And the sequences are on the floppys. The drive has been in there since the 80s so it eventually is going to c**p out. That's just the reality of things.

blueknob
Gear: ESi32/E6400U, Novation Supernova, Ensoniq (a shedful), vintage Macs, Hamm C3/122

Post by blueknob » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:48 am

If I understand the latest question. From what I've discovered there's only two ways to make an EPS/EPS16+ sequence into a midi file (using software), by using Gary Giebler's product or EPSm (vintage Mac only). I think even Gary who seems to know the Ensoniq stuff better than anyone says the conversion is not perfect.

I tend to use midi cables, EPS16+ -> PC and receive on all channels etc. It's not perfect but gets the job done.

Rasputin

Post by Rasputin » Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:44 pm

merovie wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:28 pm
I am still interested in the gotek but I'd like to know how to transfer my old sequences and songs and sounds from floppy to the USB.
Just use Omniflop to rip your old floppies to a computer then use the produced images with a floppy emulator. Problem solved.